Thread: Mark Perry

Mark Perry

Talk to me/us about frogs.

What difference does it make if the rubber legs stick out on the sides as opposed to coming straight out the back of the frog? Also when do you trim the legs, how many different ways do you trim them and to achieve what action's?

2. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    Talk to me/us about frogs.

What difference does it make if the rubber legs stick out on the sides as opposed to coming straight out the back of the frog? Also when do you trim the legs, how many different ways do you trim them and to achieve what action's?

My own take on it and its simply my own experience and opinion is that on the frogs with legs from side you get a tighter tight walk if that makes sense. You can get a bobbing acting as you walk it. With the rear tail type you can more of a longer glide to the walk almost like a Spook/Vixen hardbait walk. Both will get you bit but I like the side leg type in cover. The rear tail seem to be better for me in open water.

On the side leg type I usually just hold frog by its nose with legs hanging to each side and trim even with nose. I do that on all of mine.
    I will sometimes trim one leg maybe 1/2"-1" less than other but I have almost quit doing that. I am not a fan of bending out hooks either. I feel like there are frogs that fish excellent without mods to hooks that usually will result in snagging cover and trash more often any way.

I choose frogs by body design(ie: keel, weight position etc more than anything. You will find a huge variation in their action based on that but don't forget that rod selection is key too. Too many people limit themselves by automatically grabbing a XH brromstick type rod to throw a frog. You can impart a ton of action to them by choosing the right rod for the cover you are fishing instead of a one size fits all approach.

Again just my own take and others will see it differently. The video above by Matt Allen is loaded with great info. YouTube some from Rojas and Ish too. There is some great frog content on YT.