trading to a bigger screen

Hi guys, I'd appreciate your advice. I'm a recreational angler with a 17 ft boat. As I get older I'm finding it harder to read the screen on my HDS 7 Gen 2. In your opinion, will I be disappointed if I trade to a Hook 12 Triple Shot? Am I right that this unit will not network with another graph up front? I certainly don't need anything more advanced and would like to spend no more than $1000. I know it would be cheaper to buy new reading glasses, but that's no fun.

2. Member
    Yes, you would be disapointed. Going from touch to button-only is one thing, but the sonar itself is also a downgrade and no network. Look for a used HDS Carbon. That would be a better option technically and the screen itself is a lot easier to see due to the improved IPS-screen.

3. Member
    I tried that route a couple of years ago and honestly now don't recall what I bought. But.... it was so gawd'awful slow. I took it back.

4. Member
    Thanks for the heads up...

5. Member
    I started with a 7" unit years ago. Moved to a 9", then a 12". Now I am running a Carbon 16" on the bow as I like to drop-shot, etc. The bigger screens make a huge difference in terms of deep water fishing. With your budget, look for some good used units or specials/sales that would get you into a larger unit with touch screen. Once you are used to touch screen, you definitely do not want to go back!