Thread: Plants closing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plants closing

It was announced yesterday that Canton, Havana, Hennipin, Coffeen coal plants are closing. Does anyone know if Duck creek for the Canton plant allows fishing and if not will it?
    Please release me,let me go.

By the end of the year too. That's nuts.
    2004 Triton TR21, 225 proxs

3. Member
    I have spent the last 25 years fishing winter tournaments at coffeen . I guess I will get to sleep in more often .

Sad to hear. I had several great days on Coffeen. Maybe an upside less tournament pressure.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Where does Newton fall into this?

6. Member
    I heard this a couple months ago, I've always fished Coffeen in winter as well. I wonder if HP limits or anything will change after they're closed down a while.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

7. Member
    Sure would be nice not to have to keep that second boat with a 25.

8. Member
    Not to long ago I asked the dnr about the hp limits . They said that the power plant owners set the limit . From what I have read the same company will still own the plant and land . If this is true I would doubt the limit would change . I tried to let the dnr know that with all the bigger boats on the lakes that the bigger wakes are creating erosion problems but they didn't see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman76 View Post
    Sure would be nice not to have to keep that second boat with a 25.
    I'm good the way it is, keeps boat traffic down :)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    I'm good the way it is, keeps boat traffic down :)
    Me Too

11. Member
    Boat traffic isn't always a bad thing. I know my basscat makes a much smaller wake than all these new rangers with 25's on them

12. Member
    Just my thoughts but as sure as there is 7 days in a week someone would try and run 60 mph !

13. Member
    I think Newton will now get pounded like Coffeen was in the winter. Multiple Tournaments there every weekend all winter long.

I wonder how the fishing will change at Coffeen. Those fish are not used to seeing ice.

14. Member
    If they don't crank up the Newton plant most people will not do good enough to put up with the cold. I hope

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    If they don't crank up the Newton plant most people will not do good enough to put up with the cold. I hope
    I hope so, too. There's already enough tournaments and boats at Newton as it is. With only the one unit running now-a-days, Newton gets pretty much narrowed down to the hot side in the middle of winter. Even that is a crap shoot, because the remaining unit runs sporadically. The hot side may be 68 degrees one day and 42 the next. Those poor fish don't know what the hell to do. lol Really cold weather and limited plant operation can put ice on the entire cold side.

Coffeen temps have been a lot more steady and predictable than Newton.
    I think a lot of the Coffeen fishermen are from Missouri and/or west of Coffeen. I doubt that too many of those guys will add another hour or so and make the haul over to Newton. Only time will tell, I suppose.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Just my thoughts but as sure as there is 7 days in a week someone would try and run 60 mph !
    I see this every time I'm on idle speed only lakes. You get one Idiot that runs his big boat flat out.
    Jonathan Graber
    Atlanta, IL

1995 Champion 204 DCX
    1999 Mercury 225 EFI

17. Member
    I live In an area where the Mississippi river is my goto fishing and do tournaments. A bigger motor gives me more range. There are lakes in Iowa that are no wake and for the most part the law is followed. There have been dumb asses since the beginning of time and I don't think it's right to make those laws for what might happen. Speeders on highways get arrested and so do speeders on a lake. Who here would be ok with having a minimum 16 foot and minimum 50 Hp motor on large lakes so you little guys don't get run over! I think a law like that is every bit as fair as making me get a second boat with a 25hp! Illinois needs to do what gives everybody the same fair opportunity to fish all the state lakes our tax donations pay to operate.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

18. Member
    I think part of the reason for the 25hp limit is the size of these lakes. Coffeen is around 1100 acres and Newton is approximately 1800. That's a far cry from running up and down the Mississippi or zipping around Shelbyville. We (my son and I) are different than most here. A 25hp is our #1 boat and used way, way more than our bigger boat.

19. Member
    Fish Newton,Shelbyville ky lake, and lake st Clair as well as small lakes in Illinois and Indiana with my 16'lowe 25 HP. I don't complain that I have to stay in various coves because my boat is too small length and horsepower. I adapt the places I cant go I don't.

20. Member
    There is NO fair reason for not having idle only for bigger motors. It is done just fine in other states.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast