Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Shimano Aldebaran BFS ....it's a JDM. They also have a Scorpion BFS reel that could be a more affordable option.

I have been throwing 1/10 oz neds with a Daiwa SS SV and a Dobyns Xtasy 723C...works just fine.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have been using my Daiwa SV on my chatterbait rod and while I really liked the reel I didn’t see the big deal. Great drag and is super smooth but it didn’t cast further than anything else.

I decided I want to start throwing a weightless fluke so I set up a rod with my SV, and it casts a weightless fluke just as far as it does the chatterbait! I was amazed, and it proved to me that this reel was being used (by me!) for the wrong presentation! The SV is great for light weights. The rod is just as important though...stick it on a pool cue and that fluke doesn’t fly so far!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I have been using my Daiwa SV on my chatterbait rod and while I really liked the reel I didn’t see the big deal. Great drag and is super smooth but it didn’t cast further than anything else.

I decided I want to start throwing a weightless fluke so I set up a rod with my SV, and it casts a weightless fluke just as far as it does the chatterbait! I was amazed, and it proved to me that this reel was being used (by me!) for the wrong presentation! The SV is great for light weights. The rod is just as important though...stick it on a pool cue and that fluke doesn’t fly so far!
    Which SV reel are you referring to? SV103?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeltee View Post
    I asked myself this same question and found that my best options for <$300 were an Alderbaran 30 and the Alpha SV. I saw the Alderbaran go for $212 on Ebay last week. I'm jumping on the next one I see.

I have a couple of Aldebaran's on my BFS rods......they are really great finesse reels.
    Question everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12