Thread: Old screw holes

Old screw holes

Trying to do away with some old mounts and transducers. Was wondering what to use to patch the holes correctly. Don’t want to use silicone.

2. Member
    Marine Tex or get some resin and thicken it with silica.

3. Banned
    google - super glue and baking soda, have not tried as yet but might be worth checking.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Marine Tex or get some resin and thicken it with silica.
    do you need sometbing to get the marine Tex into the screw hole or is it something that just goes on the surface and binds? I read it is great for these little repairs and sands easy.

Can you add gelcoat on top to match the color??
    Last edited by atta; 08-21-2019 at 08:47 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atta View Post
    do you need sometbing to get the marine Tex into the screw hole or is it something that just goes on the surface and binds? I read it is great for these little repairs and sands easy.

Can you add gelcoat on top to match the color??
    You're probably better off using resin if you want to put gel to match. I just filled what seemed like hundreds of screw holes on the Sabre I'm doing and I used the stuff below. I was told by the guys at Jamestown that the polyester finishing resin was best for anything you wanted to gel over. I used some cheap plastic containers from the dollar store to mix with a popsicle stick. You'll also need some of the spreaders, I got mine at Harbor Freight but Jamestown sells them too.

I would only mix like an ounce at a time, a scale is kinda necessary (again a cheapy from Harbor Freight). You weigh out the resin, add the MEKP, mix and then add the silica to get the consistency you want. I would go a little thicker on vertical surfaces. I prepped the holes using one of the cone shaped dremel grinding bits in my cordless drill. Use the popsicle stick to fill the hole and then level it off with the spreader. You can tape off the holes if you want, I didn't but then again after I did everything I sanded the whole boat.

It'll cost you $50 but you'll have plenty left over for other holes and you can use it the same way to fix any gouges etc.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=2081

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=97694

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=2094

6. Member
    You can clip a piece of transparency film (clear plastic) and use some tape to hold it over the hole to keep the resin in. If you use just enough resin you'll have a nice finish and won't need to sand it. Trick is to make sure the resin doesn't squish out of the sides of the film. If it does you need less resin or a lager piece of film.

After the resin sets up, you'll be able to pull the film off, it doesn't stick.
    Last edited by james_az; 08-28-2019 at 09:18 PM.