Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Never had a problem with any Shimano reel, from the cheaper ones up to the expensive ones.

2. Member
    Throw it in the trash. Purchase Daiwa.

3. Member
    I'm a life long Shimano user and I've never had an issue with any of them. I own about 16 Shimano Spinning reels.
    I have heard of a fix for those experiencing difficulty.....take the rotor off and remove the black friction ring and replace it with a new blue ring.
    It won;t bind. The black one swells and was re designed due to that.
    Question everything!

Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    I also have never had an issue with my Shimano spinning reels after many years of service.

This. Would love to upgrade but can't kill my old Saharas

I had 4 Saharas and so far 3 of them have bound up to the point that they are worthless. I called Shimano and was told that the problem was the rubber friction ring under the rotor and was told to remove it. That was absolutely NO HELP. The place where they hang up is where the spool is fully extended or fully retracted. Thinking that it might be worn or warped gears (they are only made of aluminum), I replaced the gears. I thought that did help for a while and then the problem came back. Reel EX (BBC Reel Repair Sponsor) says that he has a fix for the problem that costs $40. I don't doubt him. But, after spending $60 each on these reels, I don't intend to spend another $40 to have them work correctly when otherwise they are like new.

So, I bought a Pflueger President to try, based on lots of folks recommendations over on the Rods and Reels Board. I could not be happier with the Pflueger reel. And, it still has a switch so I can turn off the constant anti-reverse and back-reel a fish, unlike many brands of new spinning reels, including Shimano.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I’ve used mostly Shimanos for the past 40 years. I also temporarily left Shimano for this very reason but returned to Shimano after finding worse issues with other brands. Heres what I now do to prevent this issue:

1.) stick with the Stradic series. No issues with this series and I’ve got two. I’ve fished in torrential rain for hours on Lake St Clair and haven’t had an issue.

2.) Don’t lay any spinning rod and reel down on the front deck when not in use and it’s raining. The angle the reel sits when your rod and reel is flat on the deck heavily contributes to water intrusion and the very issue you are dealing with. Applies especially to older Shimanos and less expensive Shimano series. Either keep it in the rod locker when it’s raining or store it in the hanging position using the passenger rod storage usually located around the passenger seat.

the latter may even be more important than the Stradic recommendation as I stopped laying these flat on the deck right from the get go. No issues.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

7. Member
    I have been fishing Shimano spinning reels going back 30 years and I've never seen this issue. (mostly Stradics) I fish them year round in both fresh and salt water. We don't get much rain here but I hose them off thoroughly after salt use so they do get wet. I take care of them though, clean and lube them regularly.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

I've got a couple of Stradics and never have had a problem, but I have heard of the binding issue from quite a few folks so I have no doubt that it happens. Probably going to bite me one of these days.

Buy daiwas, keep them, abuse them, use them for 20 years.

Binding up is why I stopped using shimano spinning reels 20 some years ago. Good to know they still haven't fixed it.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

10. Member
    I quit buying Shimano spinning for same reason. Went with Daiwa and no problems. Lexa and Procyon are great for the money.

11. Member
    Appears it is the friction ring. Tour reel apart and it was deteriorated. Broke in half and tacky. Took it out and reel seem to work fine. Guess I need new friction ring. Thanks for the info.

12. Member
    Thanks earthworm

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc16623 View Post
    Thanks earthworm
    Glad I could help.
    Question everything!

Gosh, I wish I'd known this before I bought my Stradics 20-30 years ago. Haven't had a lick of trouble with any of them (maybe a half-dozen? IDK) and they've never been serviced. Of course, we don't get much rain around here, so there's that...
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdwelding View Post
    The reason I went to Daiwa, although there is some QC issues, out of 17 new combos a year ago, I had four bad rods and 3 bad Tatula SVs. The 8 spinning reels have been flawless. I had one SV with a bad bearing, one that the cast control knob did nothing and one that won't cast more than 25 yards with the brakes off.
    Holly crap get a hold of yourself son, 17 fairy wands? You can admit that on here!

16. Member
    Still love my Shimano baitcasters but I also had the same problem with the spinning reels, switch to Daiwa Fuego series and haven't had a problem!

17. Member
    Shimano has never been known for quality of spinning reels. Daiwa is one of the better ones.

Had binding issue with one of two Symetres I had. Called Shimano it was 6 months out of warranty. They replaced it with a NISCI.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

19. Member
    Yep, 2 Saros’ I have bind up too. Ridiculous honestly, few dewy mornings is all it took. I’m another one that has switched over to Daiwa.
    Resurrected 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament V/Johnson 50hp/Helix 9 Mega SI/Helix 7 DI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12