Help--HDS Live and NEMA 183/2000.

I just deleted about 20 lines I typed explaining how I had things hooked up but decided to just keep it a lot shorter ask the proper way to do it as I don't believe I have it right. I really thought I was more savvy than I am. Had 2 HDS9 gen2 touch units. One of my HDS9 Gen2 touch quit working so I bought a new HDS9 Live and installed on dash. I have a good working HDS9 gen2 touch on bow with HDI transducer mounted on trolling motor and an ethernet connection running to dash. I also have a NMEA ran between bow and dash. On the NMEA 183 I have a GPS 4000 tied in.
    I now have a 3 in 1 transducer mounted on transom and a pdrt wbl puck mounted in bilge. I simply don't believe I have the units connected properly.
    Everything worked perfectly (I think) with 2 HDS 9 gen2 touch hooked together.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lives dont play nice with gen2s. Other than that I dont have an answer for you.

3. Member
    What is a GPS 4000 and please expain the problem you think you have? As bloodman said there are several issues involved with having Live in thernet with older units then Gen 3 but let`s hear the issues you are facing first.

4. Member
    original gPS antenna from Lowrance for GEn I or gen2.

5. Member
    So we are talking about a LGC-4000. Now that is something you want to disconnect as soon as possible, or at least tell the Live to not use the LGC as source for anything as it slows down the GPS-updates on your Live. How did you even get that to connect with NMEA0183? (It is a NMEA2000-device).

And again, what is the problem you are seeing?

6. Member
    It is an LGC 4000 It is also a NMEA 0183. Has been powered up and hooked into system since 2015 when i connected 2 new HDS 9 Gen2T units.
    Now when i look at back of my HDS9 Gen2T there is a port for NMEA 2000 that it was connected to.
    On my new Live I Cannot get multi source to stay on, it always goes back to single source. Also I cannot get channel 1 and channel 2. Channel 1 is always highlighted and channel 2 is always grayed out. The power supply to my HDS9 Live is a split cable labeled power supply and NMEA 0183. Also my bottom sonar reading disappears at about 12 MPH. Was always able to get reading up to around 53 MPH with puck that is installed.
    Just seems like I really have a mess. I also have a yellow ethernet connected between Bow and console.

7. Member
    Your Live shuts down multi-source due to the Gen 2 Touch. Remove the ethernet-connection and do a hard reset on the Live to bring it back to "pre-legacy life".

In short: Remove the LGC and disconnect ethernet, save wayponnts and do a hard reset.

8. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Your Live shuts down multi-source due to the Gen 2 Touch. Remove the ethernet-connection and do a hard reset on the Live to bring it back to "pre-legacy life".

In short: Remove the LGC and disconnect ethernet, save wayponnts and do a hard reset.
    Exactly this...

You have no need to have the LGC on the system at all (and didn't need it with the old configuration either!). It needs to be removed and replaced with a Point 1 antenna which I would mount at the rear of the boat. It has a heading sensor in it as well which will stabilize the maps...actually pretty critical that you add this if you fish offshore waypoints.

Having a Gen 2 on the network forces the system into legacy mode, which while it CAN work in some ways, it breaks the dual source function of Carbons and Live units. If you are going to run both the in hull and the 3n1, get rid of the G2....find you a used G3 at least.

Roy

9. Member
    OK. I finally got my Carbon unit and will hook up in the morning. So now as I look at the power plugs for both units, Live and Carbon, they both have NEMA 0183 labels on the cord. . What does that mean as far as hooking them up? I will now have the HDI transducer on trolling motor and will hook up to Carbon on bow. I will also hook ethernet between both units. I have a puck with remote temperature mounted in hull. I want to put 7 to 9 pin adapter on it and plug into Live.
    I also have a new AI 3in1 mounted on transom that will hook to first port on right of Live Unit.
    What else will I need and will this set up work?
    I still need to figure out what to put in channel 1 and channel 2.
    Someone said I should run a 2000 backbone and hook up the Carbon to it instead of powering it up with power cord. Any reason to do that?

10. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    1 - no need to hook up 0183 to anything....it is never used in a bass boat. We normally cut that off of the power cord to keep the wiring clutter down.

2 - you have the transducer configuration correct. That will work just fine. You will end up with 2 sources for 2d - channel 1 (your in-hull transducer) and channel 2 (the 3n1). Use the in-hull while on plane to get depth readings and use the 3n1 while scanning for greater sensitivity and images.

3 - NMEA networks cannot supply power to units....only to low power devices such as a Point 1 antenna. You need a NMEA network in the boat connected to BOTH units AND a Point 1 Antenna. Usually these are mounted as close to the rear transducer as possible. But there are other threads out here on Point 1s.

11. Member
    So, you do recommend that I get a point One? I thought all it does is show you a line as to what direction you are heading.. Fish 6 days a week. Not exaggerating. Fish tournaments weekly. What else does it do?
    So Actually I can take the 0183 completely out and star t a very short NEMA 2000. only have the point one hooked up to the backbone.

You think everything else is O.K..
    Will get everything done today and check it on the water tomorrow.

Thanks

12. Member
    A Point 1 is both an antenna and a compass. Without a compass, your map will spin when you are "stationary" on an offshore waypoint. When you install your nmea2k network, it must be powered thru a switch. Your P1 and each of your HDS units should be connected to the network. Look in the sticky notes at the top of this forum for diagrams. Once you have the nmea installed and your units and P1 connected, follow the notes by 1sharphook in this thread to configure your units:http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=503381. Your will also have to calibrate your P1. Good luck!

13. Member
    Thanks bandit53. Will be working on things tonight and tomorrow. Each unit, Live, and Carbon should have its own power supply, correct

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig N Pig View Post
    Thanks bandit53. Will be working on things tonight and tomorrow. Each unit, Live, and Carbon should have its own power supply, correct
    Yes, each unit is powered by its own power cable. The Point 1 (low power requirement) is powered by nmea. Don't forget to run power for nmea through a switch; otherwise it will continue to pull power when stored.