merc 4-stroke problem

this is the second problem I've had on my 2019 merc 250r. first o-ring, which caused loss of oil. now harmonic balancer came apart. messed up a lot of stuff under cowling. any one else had this problem?

2. Member
    forgot s/n1E080505

3. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I have 17 hours on my 250R without a problem.

Hate to hear that man. Knock on wood I've got 22hrs on mine and no complaints. Hope you get back on the water soon.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

5. Member
    Just turned 104 hours on my 225 and no problems.

6. Member
    31 hours on my 300's, all OK so far.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstranger521 View Post
    this is the second problem I've had on my 2019 merc 250r. first o-ring, which caused loss of oil. now harmonic balancer came apart. messed up a lot of stuff under cowling. any one else had this problem?
    Thats a bummer, but remember, it's a machine, assembled by humans -- in this case some fine people in Fond du Lac, WI, USA. Nothing is perfect, but I believe the vast majority of the new 4-strokes have been really solid.

Hopefully your dealer can get you back on the water soon, and this will be a distant memory. Think positive...at least you get to form a relationship with your servicing dealer through this process.

Here is a little story...my father in law bought a 150 Optimax back in 2006. Had a few issues in the first 10 hours...odd things with Throttle Position Sensor, etc. It blew two ECU's, the dealer finally figured out it was rigged wrong at the factory -- a gnd was connected to 12V somewhere under the dash. Fast forward to this summer, he lost the starter solonoid at 475 hours and 13 years later. That is the only issue he has had since hour 10....

Like I said, hope it works out, keep your chin up...O-Ring was likely an assembly defect, that is what warranty is for. Balancer..maybe same thing. Good Luck, rooting for many trouble free hours on the water once you get her back.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 08-22-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Spelling fix
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

What you have described is very unusual- almost makes me wonder if someone removed the Flywheel and then failed to torque the hardware properly when reassembling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor