Thread: 2012 Nitro Z7

2012 Nitro Z7

So I am toying with the idea of changing the trolling motor on my Z-7 instead of buying a newer boat with an Ultrex
    I would be replacing the original Maxxum 70 with an Ultrex.
    Currently the Maxxum is 24V with the original wiring.

I am trying to decide if I should get the 80lb 24V Ultrex or add another battery and go with the 112lb 36V Ultrex.
    I do have room to add the 3rd TM battery in the rear compartment so that is not a concern.
    My concerns are

1) Is the 36V TM going to be too big/heavy for the bow of my boat? (I'm worried about stress cracks/damaging fiberglass)
    2) Would the 24V Ultrex provide enough power to run spotlock for a good chunk of the day?
    3) Would the 36V TM be too much for that size boat? (Too fast/powerful)

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
    Jake
    2012 Nitro Z-7 with 150 HP Mercury Optimax Pro X/S
    Helix 10 Mega DI + G3N with 360 at the bow
    Helix 10 Mega SI + G3N and Lowrance HDS5 Gen 1 with thru-hull transducer at the console
    Rochester Bassmasters Member in Rochester, NY
    N.Y. B.A.S.S. Nation Member

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I run a 24v/ 80lp trolling motor (Terrova model) with spot lock on my 2015 Z7 and it does great. It will run all day long and I fish in river currents a lot and not had any problems.

3. Member
    You could look into using lithium batteries. For a 24v system, two 100ah 12v lithiums should last all day, and then the next day too.

The same could be said about the 36v system and lithiums.

I have a 591, early version of the Z-7 with a 80# Ultrex with two Group 31 Deka batteries. I can fish all day in the Oklahoma wind and never experience a slow down...park on a windy point or slog through weeds, no diff.

I would be hesitant to add a fourth battery. First of all; where in the world do you plan on putting it without taking out a storage bin?

I think you will also appreciate an increase in performance in just going from a 70# to an 80#.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    I have a Z-7 with an 80# Ultrex. If I didn't have the power poles I would have enough room for another battery and maybe a fifth. It never even crossed my mind to go 36 volts after ditching the Fortrex. I spot lock sometimes for hours at time while the kids play in the water. Still have plenty of juice to fish all day. If you decide to go with the 112# the weight on the bow won't be an issue nor will it be too powerful. I think it is overkill, but to each their own.

6. Member
    Good to know, I fish the St. Lawrence a lot so I can't expect it to hold up in that current all day but good to know I should be alright
    Helix 10 Mega SI + G3N and Lowrance HDS5 Gen 1 with thru-hull transducer at the console

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samck96 View Post
    You could look into using lithium batteries. For a 24v system, two 100ah 12v lithiums should last all day, and then the next day too.

The same could be said about the 36v system and lithiums.
    Little too expensive for me I think but I appreciate it

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have a 591, early version of the Z-7 with a 80# Ultrex with two Group 31 Deka batteries. I can fish all day in the Oklahoma wind and never experience a slow down...park on a windy point or slog through weeds, no diff.

I would be hesitant to add a fourth battery. First of all; where in the world do you plan on putting it without taking out a storage bin?

I think you will also appreciate an increase in performance in just going from a 70# to an 80#.
    I'm not worried about space with the back of my Z-7 having plenty of room for another battery. (They didn't layout the back of the boat in the most efficient way possible)
    Good to know that you don't struggle that much in heavy wind. I appreciate the reply.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    I have a Z-7 with an 80# Ultrex. If I didn't have the power poles I would have enough room for another battery and maybe a fifth. It never even crossed my mind to go 36 volts after ditching the Fortrex. I spot lock sometimes for hours at time while the kids play in the water. Still have plenty of juice to fish all day. If you decide to go with the 112# the weight on the bow won't be an issue nor will it be too powerful. I think it is overkill, but to each their own.
    I agree its probably overkill but I fish the St. Lawrence and Niagara River a lot and I think having too much trolling motor would be nice as opposed to my setup now.
    Thanks for the reply!

Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

I also agree with remaly181s comments and I also have a 2012 Nitro Z7 with dual consoles. I have the 24 volt Ulterra which is the electric steer version of the Ultrex and has the self stowing feature. But, power is the same at 80 lbs. I've only had the boat for several months but have fished with it often and in two local tournaments. Believe me, the 24 volt motor is plenty powerful for the Z7. Last weekend I fished for 8 hours using both spot-lock and autopilot much of the time and both my AGM 55 Ah batteries were still over 80% capacity when I got home and put them on the charger.

Another factor is hole shot. I also have the 150 Pro Xs and dual consoles with hydraulic jack plate and dual power poles. With the Tempest 23 pitch prop hole shot is acceptable but, by no means great with a full tournament load and full live wells. I think the extra battery might affect your hole shot in a negative way depending on how good it is now.

Save your money and stick with the 24 volt Ulterra. Just my thoughts on your concerns.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    I also agree with remaly181s comments and I also have a 2012 Nitro Z7 with dual consoles. I have the 24 volt Ulterra which is the electric steer version of the Ultrex and has the self stowing feature. But, power is the same at 80 lbs. I've only had the boat for several months but have fished with it often and in two local tournaments. Believe me, the 24 volt motor is plenty powerful for the Z7. Last weekend I fished for 8 hours using both spot-lock and autopilot much of the time and both my AGM 55 Ah batteries were still over 80% capacity when I got home and put them on the charger.

Another factor is hole shot. I also have the 150 Pro Xs and dual consoles with hydraulic jack plate and dual power poles. With the Tempest 23 pitch prop hole shot is acceptable but, by no means great with a full tournament load and full live wells. I think the extra battery might affect your hole shot in a negative way depending on how good it is now.

Save your money and stick with the 24 volt Ulterra. Just my thoughts on your concerns.
    I don't think hole shot will be an issue if I go with a heavier trolling motor.
    I think the increase in weight of the trolling motor will offset the weight of an extra battery.
    I also don't have a jack plate or power poles so that makes the back of my boat relatively light.
    I will stick with the Ultrex over the Ulterra just because I don't like the auto stow feature.
    I appreciate your reply!
    I'm starting to lean towards the 24V 80# Ultrex

I wasn't suggesting that you consider the Ulterra. Was just mentioning it because the weight and power is about the same as the Ultrex. I think you'll be happy with the 24V Ultrex, though. Good luck.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremskij View Post
    I agree its probably overkill but I fish the St. Lawrence and Niagara River a lot and I think having too much trolling motor would be nice as opposed to my setup now.
    Thanks for the reply!
    I mainly fish lakes, but I also fish the upper Mississippi on Pools 8-10 from time to time. (Not much this year with the high water.) No troubles sitting on wing dams for extended periods in an 8 hour session. As long as you have quality batteries, you should be good to go. Our Z-7s are pretty nimble and light compared to the Z8,9,20 and 21. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkammer View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that you consider the Ulterra. Was just mentioning it because the weight and power is about the same as the Ultrex. I think you'll be happy with the 24V Ultrex, though. Good luck.
    Ahh, gotcha. I appreciate it!

16. Member
    I mainly fish lakes, but I also fish the upper Mississippi on Pools 8-10 from time to time. (Not much this year with the high water.) No troubles sitting on wing dams for extended periods in an 8 hour session. As long as you have quality batteries, you should be good to go. Our Z-7s are pretty nimble and light compared to the Z8,9,20 and 21. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    I appreciate it! It'll be nice not having to do much work with all the wiring too