Stratos Livewell Issue - Recirculator Filling Livewell

I've got an 2007 Stratos 201 XL. I've recently started plugging my overflow, in an attempt to keep in the cool, catch-n-release treated water for continuous recirculation.

-Turn my livewell valves to recirc
    -Plug my overflow
    -Fill with my auxiliary aerator
    -Turn off auxiliary aerator
    -Turn on my main aerator

My starboard side works perfectly. The water level stays consistent and sprayer blasts away. The water stays a nice green color from the Catch-n-Release, just what I want. However, my port side slowly fills, to the point that after 15/20 minutes of running, the sprayer is submerged and the livewell is completely full. I pull the overflow plug and the water level drops back below my sprayer, so I still get aeration by I lose all my livewell treatment through the overflow over time.

Is my port side livewell valve not closing properly? I figure it must be allowing my main aerator to pull in outside water in addition to the water it's already recirculating. That's the only thing I can think of. It's fine for spring and fall tournaments, but during the summer I'd like to keep from sucking in +80 degree water if I can.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. Member
    Sounds like the timer on left side is bad

So my boat's a little older than yours, but on my 201 Pro XL there are 4 pumps, 2 fill pumps and 2 recirculation pumps. The recirculation pumps can't pull in lake water, they can only recirculate the water that's already in the live well. There are valves to close the drains which keeps the water in the wells to recirculate. If your 201 also has 4 pumps, then your fill pump must be running either instead of or with the recirculating pump to cause the water level in the well to increase. Check and see if there is voltage to your fill pump when in recirculate. Again, could be a completely different setup from my '94 and if so then disregard this post.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Replace or rebuild the valve, it is leaking. Very common.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    So my boat's a little older than yours, but on my 201 Pro XL there are 4 pumps, 2 fill pumps and 2 recirculation pumps. The recirculation pumps can't pull in lake water, they can only recirculate the water that's already in the live well. There are valves to close the drains which keeps the water in the wells to recirculate. If your 201 also has 4 pumps, then your fill pump must be running either instead of or with the recirculating pump to cause the water level in the well to increase. Check and see if there is voltage to your fill pump when in recirculate. Again, could be a completely different setup from my '94 and if so then disregard this post.
    There is a 3 way valve on my 07. It has a auto, recirculate, drain. Not just open or closed. In auto it recirculate's the livewell water as well as adds water from outside to keep it full.

6. Member
    Should be able to just put on recirc and run the main pump and it does not take in lake water. The valve needs rebuilt or the cable has slipped.

7. Member
    see if the pump out port has water coming out it? my pump out valve had a small piece of line in it and would do what you are saying. took valve apart to see what was up, removed line and works good now.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Should be able to just put on recirc and run the main pump and it does not take in lake water. The valve needs rebuilt or the cable has slipped.
    X2

You should not have to plug the overflow. You could also check for obstructions in your hoses and different pump gph ratings.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Member
    My 07 200XL does same. which valve are you speaking of to "rebuild/replace"

Quote Originally Posted by MATZUO View Post
    Replace or rebuild the valve, it is leaking. Very common.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajwasco View Post
    My 07 200XL does same. which valve are you speaking of to "rebuild/replace"
    20190823_194428.jpg
    They are connected to the pump in the bilge.