Question Lakemaster Chip HD Question

I purchased a Lakemaster chip about 7 months ago. It has some lakes in regular and some in HD. Lake Cumberland is a lake I fish quite frequently. It does not show up on my HD list of lakes and definitely is not contoured as HD on my units when I select it. I shows contours and I can highlight depths and all that. My friends have Cumberland as HD on their Lakemaster. Is there an update available for this chip? What am I missing?

There is no update program for Lakemaster maps. They have annual editions.
    If you want just that lake, you can get it via Chart Select and download to a blank memory card that is encrypted.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    May not help you now, but for those deciding on a map. Go to the HB site and find the Lakemaster region you want and click on the lake list to see which lakes are on it and what quality each lake is mapped. All these chips are updated yearly in the spring. New mapping will be listed. It is important to get the correct version of a region. The older versions may or may not be discounted and may not have the lake you want in HD when they have been surpassed by the latest version. There are lake lists from older versions around and you will have to do some research so you will get what you need. I am including a link for the latest Southeast region map as an example. Cumberland is in bold type meaning Lakemaster HD.
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...-8LL_lm_se.pdf

4. Member
    Thanks bobcat. Well dam! I sure as chit don't have Cumberland in HD. I'll have to check but I must not have version 5 like it says in your attached link. My buddy has Cumberland in HD and he bought his chip longer ago than I did. I specifically asked the guy at BPS if what I was buying was the most recent version and of course he said yes. All this was back in February. So too late to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Thanks bobcat. Well dam! I sure as chit don't have Cumberland in HD. I'll have to check but I must not have version 5 like it says in your attached link. My buddy has Cumberland in HD and he bought his chip longer ago than I did. I specifically asked the guy at BPS if what I was buying was the most recent version and of course he said yes. All this was back in February. So too late to do anything about it.
    Typically the annual Lakemaster map cards come out in early Spring.
    Some new waters that are ready before the annual editions can be obtained individually with the Chart Select program.

The Lake Cumberland contour map is $29.99 and you can add 7 additional layers of features.

With the purchase of a Chart Select map, you get a free download of it to a smart device with the FishSmart App.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Just pulled my chip out of unit. I do indeed have version 4 (Cumberland not HD until version 5). Thanks guys, I'll buy it separately. I didn't know that option was available until you mentioned it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Typically the annual Lakemaster map cards come out in early Spring.
    Some new waters that are ready before the annual editions can be obtained individually with the Chart Select program.

The Lake Cumberland contour map is $29.99 and you can add 7 additional layers of features.

With the purchase of a Chart Select map, you get a free download of it to a smart device with the FishSmart App.
    Hey Wayne, I have a 798 ci si nav combo and 798 ci hdsi unit. Is the Lakemaster PLUS mid-south card compatible with my units? I looked on the HB website and it lists the 700 series as discontinued. I couldn't tell if it meant that it works with these discontinued models units or if it meant it didn't work with them. Thanks

Also, what is the latest version. I find a version 5 but it only says version 3 on HB website

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    Hey Wayne, I have a 798 ci si nav combo and 798 ci hdsi unit. Is the Lakemaster PLUS mid-south card compatible with my units? I looked on the HB website and it lists the 700 series as discontinued. I couldn't tell if it meant that it works with these discontinued models units or if it meant it didn't work with them. Thanks

Also, what is the latest version. I find a version 5 but it only says version 3 on HB website
    My bad, the version 5 was for the non-plus chip.

The manual shows all the Lakemaster settings, but does not mention the satellite overlay.

They would not display the satellite overlay with a Navionics Hotmaps Platinum card but would read the contour mapping of that card. I had the 798ci SI Combo.

Soo based on that I would guess it would only read the map part of the card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    The manual shows all the Lakemaster settings, but does not mention the satellite overlay.

They would not display the satellite overlay with a Navionics Hotmaps Platinum card but would read the contour mapping of that card. I had the 798ci SI Combo.

Soo based on that I would guess it would only read the map part of the card.
    That means I would not benefit from getting the PLUS version only the regular, correct? Also, I have version two currently. Is version 3 worth the dollars or does it just include more lakes without any other updates? Also, if I did get version 3 do I have to uninstall my current chip before installing version 3 or does it override version 2 or do I have to select the map I want to use in the settings of the unit? As you know I have two SD card slots.

That means I would not benefit from getting the PLUS version only the regular, correct? Also, I have version two currently. Is version 3 worth the dollars or does it just include more lakes without any other updates? Also, if I did get version 3 do I have to uninstall my current chip before installing version 3 or does it override version 2 or do I have to select the map I want to use in the settings of the unit? As you know I have two SD card slots.
    Yes it makes no sense to get the Plus version if you can view the satellite overlay.
    Each concurrent version has more locations and more HD locations.

At no time is the mapping on a map card loaded to the unit's memory for any map brand so there is no "uninstall" and no "override". You can have two map cards in the two card readers and choose which one to use. You cannot view both at the same time. That goes for any Humminbird unit with dual card readers.

In the main Chart menu Default for the Chart is Auto, there is also left and right to choose which one.

It's been about 5 years since I had the 798 so I may not remember everything about it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Before I buy the download for just Cumberland, is it worth it to buy all the layers at $5 each. What benefit is there for seeing 2004, 2010 etc aerial views? I'm not trying to be cheap just don't want stuff I may never use.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Before I buy the download for just Cumberland, is it worth it to buy all the layers at $5 each. What benefit is there for seeing 2004, 2010 etc aerial views? I'm not trying to be cheap just don't want stuff I may never use.
    The purpose of multi-years is different water levels for those years.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Kev. I am pretty sure you can only buy the overlays when you download a new map. If you want them later you would have to buy the lake again. Might be worth the money just in case. Bob
    Note: My lake only had 3 aerial views. I see some have many. Maybe just pick a couple.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-02-2019 at 08:12 AM.

15. Member
    Google Earth is cheaper...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

16. Member
    Yes it makes no sense to get the Plus version if you can view the satellite overlay.
    Each concurrent version has more locations and more HD locations.

At no time is the mapping on a map card loaded to the unit's memory for any map brand so there is no "uninstall" and no "override". You can have two map cards in the two card readers and choose which one to use. You cannot view both at the same time. That goes for any Humminbird unit with dual card readers.

In the main Chart menu Default for the Chart is Auto, there is also left and right to choose which one.

It's been about 5 years since I had the 798 so I may not remember everything about it.
    As always Wayne, really appreciate you taking time to answer questions. You're a wealth of knowledge for all of us.