Thread: Raystown Lake

Raystown Lake

What is the fishing like in October at Raystown? Bass fishing I mean, not stripers. A couple of us are thinking about going for a few days mid October but I havent been there that late in the year and havent been there in 10 years at all

2. Member
    I fished there once in October. They were on points, and pushing bait against bluff walls over deep water. I whacked a 4.5lber on a spook over about 30’ of water. I also caught some patties on a chatterbait in 3’ shallow grass the same day. It’s a unique place. Wish I could be more helpful.

3. Member
    I was just there. Many 2 fish bags. They sprayed the weeds. Bass are roaming after bait in open water mostly. I don't think whoever wanted the weeds sprayed deserves your $$$

4. Member
    Who sprayed the grass?
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Nobody sprayed the grass. All rumors I assure you.

We have had some screwed up weather in the spring. Dirty water, no sun and the grass got a very late start.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Who sprayed the grass?
    This is a big debate among bass fisherman in central PA. But whatever happened most of the millfoil that was in the lake is gone. I called the corp of engineers ranger station late last fall and they assured me there was no spraying or weed removal done at Raystown. But with that being said i also read online from several different sources that Juniata College and the Corp of engineers teamed up to erradicate the grass at Raystown and that there is a bunch of public info about it at the visitor center at Raystown. I cant confirm any of that because i have never been to the visitors center, nor did i know Raystown had one. So until there is public published info on the matter i guess it will be a mystery.

8. Member
    Here is some info on grass eradication at Raystown. U have to download the pages from the link. https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Exotic_Plants

9. Member
    Blackbass anglers need to speak up and tell them this is not OK. Does anyone have any points of contacts? I saw an article a while ago (probably related to this) that they were doing studies on invasive grass but nothing about eradication. I wish there were way more grass than there is currently and than there was before. I would love for there to be some mats to fish. Is this just some college students trying to make a 'difference?' Grass isn't bad and can be really good for the fish in Raystown.

10. Member
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

11. Member
    I fish it April and May and not again till September and October. Usually every weekend those months, haven’t been up for a while but I’ll let you know what I see this weekend. Usually starts picking back up here mid September.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Blackbass anglers need to speak up and tell them this is not OK. Does anyone have any points of contacts? I saw an article a while ago (probably related to this) that they were doing studies on invasive grass but nothing about eradication. I wish there were way more grass than there is currently and than there was before. I would love for there to be some mats to fish. Is this just some college students trying to make a 'difference?' Grass isn't bad and can be really good for the fish in Raystown.
    Amen, brother. Your are 100% correct but unfortunately pleasure boaters run the roost at Raystown. And im hearing most of the weed complaints were from them. Never known to many Bass fisherman who dont like millfoil/weeds. Some but not many.

13. Member
    I'm sure it came from them as well just as it does on other lakes. We need to be heard though. There's plenty of room for them in places with no grass. I'm not really sure who to reach out to but will definitely be looking.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    We have had some screwed up weather in the spring. Dirty water, no sun and the grass got a very late start.
    +1 The Susquehanna River is in the same state and there has been no spraying there.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax