Need truck buying advice for my truck/camper rig

Was considering a Class B rv to pull/launch my 16' aluminum boat and use as a general RV touring rig. Rented one and it's sitting outside my house now. After driving it I realized it is too clumsy to be maneuvering around boat ramps. It's built on a Ford Transit High Roof at 19' 9" long. Drives fine, just don't think I will enjoy the boat ramp and low ground clearance issues associated with it.

So it's back to my original thought, truck/truck camper rig. I'm well versed on truck campers, payload, etc. I'm buying a truck specifically for a truck camper, it's a one use rig. I'll use my old 2002 Silverado 1500 for the daily driver.

I will be buying a pop up truck camper and the truck will be either a Ram 1 ton or Ford F250, long bed, single cab. That is the best configuration for max payload without going to a dually which I have no need for, camper wet may be at 2,000 lbs at best. The Ram or Ford will have a payload right just above 4,000 lbs. The Ram 2500 has rear coil springs. Based on research, leaf springs are much better to avoid sway, the 1 ton has leaf springs, so that is why I ruled out the Ram 2500.

So here's the rub. I have not done a lot of searching, but I'm figuring it will be hard to find the exact configuration I want on a dealer lot. I want a no frills truck. Don't need a $945 chrome upgrade, etc.

I know they want to sell what is on their lot, but I'm sure all of them have some options I don't want to pay for.

Is the best approach to start an email dialogue with a local Ram or Ford dealer inquiring about ordering?

2. Member
    In Chevy you'd be looking for a W/T, don't know if the other have a like option.

3. Member
    What does W/T mean? First glance shows Chevy at 5k more and slightly less payload.

4. Member
    Havent had a truck camper before but I do have a SRW f350 single cab long bed. I cant imagine it would even know there was a camper in the back as stiff as the suspension is.

My thought is the hardest part will be you finding a single cab. You sure dont see many of them out there.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    Was considering a Class B rv to pull/launch my 16' aluminum boat and use as a general RV touring rig. Rented one and it's sitting outside my house now. After driving it I realized it is too clumsy to be maneuvering around boat ramps. It's built on a Ford Transit High Roof at 19' 9" long. Drives fine, just don't think I will enjoy the boat ramp and low ground clearance issues associated with it.

So it's back to my original thought, truck/truck camper rig. I'm well versed on truck campers, payload, etc. I'm buying a truck specifically for a truck camper, it's a one use rig. I'll use my old 2002 Silverado 1500 for the daily driver.

I will be buying a pop up truck camper and the truck will be either a Ram 1 ton or Ford F250, long bed, single cab. That is the best configuration for max payload without going to a dually which I have no need for, camper wet may be at 2,000 lbs at best. The Ram or Ford will have a payload right just above 4,000 lbs. The Ram 2500 has rear coil springs. Based on research, leaf springs are much better to avoid sway, the 1 ton has leaf springs, so that is why I ruled out the Ram 2500.

So here's the rub. I have not done a lot of searching, but I'm figuring it will be hard to find the exact configuration I want on a dealer lot. I want a no frills truck. Don't need a $945 chrome upgrade, etc.

I know they want to sell what is on their lot, but I'm sure all of them have some options I don't want to pay for.

Is the best approach to start an email dialogue with a local Ram or Ford dealer inquiring about ordering?
    You need to find a fleet dealer, the truck you want will be on one of those commercial lots with 50 other white trucks. If you want to order fleet dealer do that all the time, yes I would start with an email, but a phone call lets them know you are serious. For a fleet Ram close to you chris nikels in Broken Arrow has a ton of fleet trucks.
    https://www.chrisnikel.com/inventory...mr5aj4kg616415

6. Banned
    A loaded 3500/ 350 diesel extended cab dually 8ft bed in whatever brand you like with a top of the line hard top slide in. Thats my plan in the near future. Im still trying to convince my wife though, getting closer
    Last edited by pa.X19; 08-21-2019 at 12:17 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks for that link. A quick look already looks promising. I ain't in the market for a 70k truck, so the white commerical work truck is what I'm after. That location is within driving distance, about two hours.

8. Banned
    Thanks for that link. A quick look already looks promising. I ain't in the market for a 70k truck, so the white commerical work truck is what I'm after. That location is within driving distance, about two hours.
    I have bought 4 trucks from them over the past 10 years. Just skip the regular salesman and go right to the fleet dept, they just quote you their bottom dollar right up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Havent had a truck camper before but I do have a SRW f350 single cab long bed. I cant imagine it would even know there was a camper in the back as stiff as the suspension is.

My thought is the hardest part will be you finding a single cab. You sure dont see many of them out there.
    It will. When you put 2000lbs of sprung weight in the back, it definitely knows it is there.

I have a 1750lb (dry) non pop-up slide in for a short box and have hauled it with each of my rigs. One is a 98.5 2500 SRW Cummins with the factory camper package and the other is a 2011 3500 SRW Cummins. The 98.5 handles the camper better stability wise. The Camper Package included a rear sway bar along with stiffer overloads and that in my opinion is the reasoning as to why the truck handles it better than the one ton. I wouldn't rule out a 2500 just due to the coils, just plan on putting a sway bar in whatever you buy to help with body roll and it will handle great. I have air bags on my bench for the 2500 and never installed them, didnt need them. The bags on my 3500 leak so I will probably replace them with the other bags for the time being. If I were to buy a dedicated rig I would get a dually long box to allow a heavier camper with slides. After being in an Arctic Fox with one slide vs our short box non slide there is no comparison, it just provides so much more usable room even if you're only sleeping and changing clothes in it.

As for where to purchase, like said above you want a fleet dealer. You could also contact your local dealer about inquiring on building a rig. You can order the Ram Tradesman package which is as no frills as they come.

06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    It will. When you put 2000lbs of sprung weight in the back, it definitely knows it is there.

I have a 1750lb (dry) non pop-up slide in for a short box and have hauled it with each of my rigs. One is a 98.5 2500 SRW Cummins with the factory camper package and the other is a 2011 3500 SRW Cummins. The 98.5 handles the camper better stability wise. The Camper Package included a rear sway bar along with stiffer overloads and that in my opinion is the reasoning as to why the truck handles it better than the one ton. I wouldn't rule out a 2500 just due to the coils, just plan on putting a sway bar in whatever you buy to help with body roll and it will handle great. I have air bags on my bench for the 2500 and never installed them, didnt need them. The bags on my 3500 leak so I will probably replace them with the other bags for the time being. If I were to buy a dedicated rig I would get a dually long box to allow a heavier camper with slides. After being in an Arctic Fox with one slide vs our short box non slide there is no comparison, it just provides so much more usable room even if you're only sleeping and changing clothes in it.

As for where to purchase, like said above you want a fleet dealer. You could also contact your local dealer about inquiring on building a rig. You can order the Ram Tradesman package which is as no frills as they come.

Nice setup

11. Member
    If you don't mind driving to the north end of Texas, you can try Holiday Ford in Whitesboro, TX. I've ordered 2 trucks this year from them, got the best price by far with no hassle. Ask for Jesse Carney.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Nice setup
    Thanks
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

13. Member
    I had a 3500 single axle long bed Chevy that fit what you describe. I bought it from a fleet manager. It was originally ordered to be an ice delivery truck, thus the single axle long bed single cab. You don’t get much choice in colors on those fleet work trucks.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    What does W/T mean? First glance shows Chevy at 5k more and slightly less payload.
    work truck..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"