Thread: Lake Martin

Lake Martin

My wife and I bought a place on Lake Martin and moved here in March of this year. I had fished here 5-6 times over the years, usually in the early spring or fall.The fish, spots mostly, were where I thought they would be for that time of year and I was happy with most of my trips until June when the weather got hot. Let me preface what I'm about to say by giving you a little background. I am 82 years young and have been chasing those "little green fish" for about 50 of those years. My favorite time of the year on most of the lakes in the southeast is from mid-June thru August. I love to fish off shore and usually can find the sweet spots where the fish tend to bunch up and can be caught in fairly large numbers. I cannot say this about Lake Martin; the toughest summer time lake I have ever had the pleasure of fishing. Its not that I haven't tried, but I am fairly frustrated at this point. The fish just don't seem to hang in the summer time in the same kind of places that they do most other lakes in the southeast.

At this point I can't be too proud to holler HELP. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Sending you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by aseago View Post
    My wife and I bought a place on Lake Martin and moved here in March of this year. I had fished here 5-6 times over the years, usually in the early spring or fall.The fish, spots mostly, were where I thought they would be for that time of year and I was happy with most of my trips until June when the weather got hot. Let me preface what I'm about to say by giving you a little background. I am 82 years young and have been chasing those "little green fish" for about 50 of those years. My favorite time of the year on most of the lakes in the southeast is from mid-June thru August. I love to fish off shore and usually can find the sweet spots where the fish tend to bunch up and can be caught in fairly large numbers. I cannot say this about Lake Martin; the toughest summer time lake I have ever had the pleasure of fishing. Its not that I haven't tried, but I am fairly frustrated at this point. The fish just don't seem to hang in the summer time in the same kind of places that they do most other lakes in the southeast.

At this point I can't be too proud to holler HELP. Any advice would be appreciated.
    About the same as Lanier after the introduction of herring for forage, spots used to be predictable now they roam with the herring in deep water.

4. Member
    If there are Blue Herring in lake and I don;t know if there is or not...........the fish mostly become open water roamers. Look for bait anywhere you can find an fish around it. Bait may be over very deep water. Fish baits fast......top water, under spins, cranks, spinner baits, and one of my fav spy baits. Slow down the spy bait. Almost everyday it takes a different retrieve slow, medium, stop and go etc.. In Fall hard to beat a fast moving top water around bait fish in first couple of hours of the morning.

5. Member
    Martin is tough regardless of the time of year. Average tournament weights are 14 - 18lbs on good days.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

6. Member
    Martin is one of my favorite winter time fishing lakes in the state. It is amazing how shallow it will fish with the water temps COLD. It's also a fun lake in the fall but it is absolutely one of the worst summer fishing lakes I've ever been on. You would be much better off to put the boat on the trailer and head over to one of the Coosa River lakes in the summer. If you're going to stay on Martin go swimming and don't get the rods out until late October.

7. Member
    I live on Martin. Up in Sturdivant Creek. Summer time is rough but you can still catch a few. Up river is usually pretty good with some willow grass available. As far as trailer trips mitchell and Jordan are both about an hr away. I'd be glad to show you the areas of the lake I know and see if it helped any.

8. Member
    I hope you can link up with Dstacks7. That is a great gesture.

May want to try some live shad, if you can find any grouped up in 20-25 foot of water.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstacks7 View Post
    I live on Martin. Up in Sturdivant Creek. Summer time is rough but you can still catch a few. Up river is usually pretty good with some willow grass available. As far as trailer trips mitchell and Jordan are both about an hr away. I'd be glad to show you the areas of the lake I know and see if it helped any.
    I appreciate your generous offer. I'm retired and at your disposal. Let's go!

10. Member
    I can't offer advice on locations or what to catch them on, but perhaps offer some insight. A friend of mine fishes tourneys on Martin, and is serious about it. He has an underwater camera and showed me some of his findings. No waypoints...lol. He's funny about that. Anyway, the big spots are very deep this time of year. 30-40ft. He targeted ledges and large rock formations down deep.

Me, I'm like the others, fish October through May then stay away..lol. Some of the best days I have had on any lake have been in November/December on Martin.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aseago View Post
    I appreciate your generous offer. I'm retired and at your disposal. Let's go!
    Pmed.