bass opens vs. few costas

hey guys I'm looking to fish the opens or costa next year wondering the pros and con to each I'm favoring the opens but its definitely more money. Just wonder what it cost a year on average to fish each and any other opinions would be appreciated.

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I haven't fished either but welcome to BBC. I'm sure you'll get some opinions and hope they are helpful.

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    To me it’s close to this
    costa 1900 entry
    truck gas 200-300
    boat gas 200-300
    hotel 700-1000 depending on how you stay nice, with someone, or camp etc.
    food 100-200
    tackle 100-200
    3 events and maybe championship. No entry for it, but expense still as above
    open 1500 entry and same as above .
    4 events no championship

Depending on where you live and entires you’re close to 3000-3500 per

just my opinion and what I experienced. You can do it cheaper or more. That’s a rough guess

4. Member
    I would do the opens, at least you got a shot at the classic and a chance at the elites , if I could afford it that’s the route I would go,

5. Banned
    I've heard several guys say the opens are tougher than the elite series is now and I agree, you will have tour pros from BASS, FLW and MLF fishing select events, based on that alone I would probably fish the costas first and then see if you can step up to the opens.

6. Member
    thanks guys for the input guy i appreciate it

7. Member
    I spend close to 4 grand on every event but I opt for a lake house . Both have some realy great people around. And they both do a few things different. you cant go wrong with either one .

8. Banned
    holy crap...i had no idea it cost this much to fish tourneys. You all must really love it to put that up.

In all honesty...if I could afford it id prolly do a few just for the experience on top of the competitive aspect. Just some sticker shock...but makes sense.

I've fished 7-8 costas when they were called "everstarts". Fun times! It was only an $800 entry in those days. Everybody fished 3 days. Falcon I caught the most bass ever for me in a tourny..finished 95th...was in over my head. Still fun..and glad I did it...had a co angler weigh 28lbs with me...proved a Ranger livewell can keep 10 bass that weigh 50lbs alive!

10. Member
    I fished the BASS Invitationals for two years and BFL for several years. If you want to save money,try to find 3-4 room mates and rent a house for a week,we could stay 7 nights for $50 a man,at times,and never over $100.I also cooked or nuked all my meals,eating out every meal is very expensive. You can’t do much about gas and entry fees but this is two areas that you can save.

11. Member
    pick which league based on the lakes you think you'll like or do well on. In order to make any money you basically have to win one

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I've fished 7-8 costas when they were called "everstarts". Fun times! It was only an $800 entry in those days. Everybody fished 3 days. Falcon I caught the most bass ever for me in a tourny..finished 95th...was in over my head. Still fun..and glad I did it...had a co angler weigh 28lbs with me...proved a Ranger livewell can keep 10 bass that weigh 50lbs alive!
    Everybody fished 3 days? When I fished them they made a cut after 2 days maybe that changed at some point?

They both would be an eye opening experience. The opens would be more of a challenge IMO.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I fished the BASS Invitationals for two years and BFL for several years. If you want to save money,try to find 3-4 room mates and rent a house for a week,we could stay 7 nights for $50 a man,at times,and never over $100.I also cooked or nuked all my meals,eating out every meal is very expensive. You can’t do much about gas and entry fees but this is two areas that you can save.
    All of this and it also saves a little if you practice with a co angler as well. I've fished some Costa's as a Co and stayed and practiced with some guys and would pitch in and split costs for just about everything gas, food, lodging, ramp fees.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Everybody fished 3 days? When I fished them they made a cut after 2 days maybe that changed at some point?
    it did change at some point..they raised the entry and cut it two two days...start of the downhill slide but yeah we were fishing 3 days

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]2008 - Costa FLW Series - Southwestern [/COLOR]
    TOURNAMENT PL. DAY 1
    WT (FISH)
    DAY 2
    WT (FISH)
    DAY 3
    WT (FISH)
    DAY 4
    WT (FISH)
    TOTAL
    WT (FISH)
    WINNINGS
    Sam Rayburn Reservoir
    February 20, 2008
    49 10 - 5 (5) 11 - 12 (5) 14 - 1 (5) - 36 - 2 (15)
    Falcon Lake
    January 9, 2008
    93 17 - 2 (5) 22 - 0 (5) 14 - 2 (5) - 53 - 4 (15)
    Wanted to add it was pretty much the anglers that got them cut to 3 days with a cut on day 3...complaining about the expense of practice and potentially 4 days of fishing, and this was 10 years ago with an $800 entry.
    costas were drawing 200 boats easy at the good lakes falcon/rayburn etc..
    Last edited by dean c; 08-21-2019 at 10:17 AM.