Thread: 89 fuel

89 fuel

All rec fuel in my area is 89 octane..... frustrating and they charge 3.99 a gallon...SMH...
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

2. Member
    Didn't know they made a fuel just for recreational vehicles, can you not run 87 octane?

3. Member
    Ya, are you talking about non-ethanol? I know that locally there can be a lot of different fuel types available MI, especially up north. I remember seeing something like 110 at the pump, for snow machines in winter I believe. That was a long time ago now, I'm sad to say. Miss the up north/UP.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Yep, just got to suck it up if you want the non-ethanol.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I can only get it at Wawa or a marina. It’s 2.99 now at Wawa and is 89 so I can’t complain too much. It’s smart on them, I will always stop there because they have non ethanol fuel.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Banned
    Unless you have a pre-ethanol built engine I'd just run E-10 and forget about it. The engineers designed the newer engine to run on E-10. I can get either or at the Tennessee lake house but can only get ethanol added here in SW Ohio so I just use ethanol add fuels. Why mix???... You just have to be smart about buying what you think you'll use on a given day... Although the pontoon sits from late November until mid March with ethanol fuel in the tank... Just be sure you're treating it with a fuel stabilizer and you'll be fine... Dan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Unless you have a pre-ethanol built engine I'd just run E-10 and forget about it. The engineers designed the newer engine to run on E-10. I can get either or at the Tennessee lake house but can only get ethanol added here in SW Ohio so I just use ethanol add fuels. Why mix???... You just have to be smart about buying what you think you'll use on a given day... Although the pontoon sits from late November until mid March with ethanol fuel in the tank... Just be sure you're treating it with a fuel stabilizer and you'll be fine... Dan
    I used to overthink this and now given some experience, just go 87 which is what Mercury recommends. I throw fuel stabilizer in as my only precaution since it is used at a much slower rate than my cars.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    All rec fuel in my area is 89 octane..... frustrating and they charge 3.99 a gallon...SMH...
    Before WAWA stores started popping up all over, I used to pay a dollar or more a gallon than the ethanol, to get non ethanol. I have a EFI that I think the book said 87 was best for it. But I run the 89 from WAWA. The PRO XS I didn't want because of all the idling I do, I think it called for high octane.

I don't know what newer ones call for.

My motor can run 10% ethanol and 87 octane is the minimum recommended octane. I always run non-ethanol, which I can only get in 89. I have been doing this for 15 or so years and had zero issues running octane 2 points higher. Non ethanol 89 cost about .40-.50 more per gallon that 10% 89 in my area. It's about .80 more than 10% ethanol in 87 octane. People can say I am wasting my money and I am fine with that. All I know is I had an ethanol issue many years ago and I have not forgot about the $ spent before I found out what the issue was. Plus how much of a pain it was to get the gas tank completely dry and remove the residue inside it. If I was using several hundred gallons per year I might run 10% but no more than use I just pay the extra and have piece of mind know my fuel has a lot longer shelf life and is a lot less corrosive.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    I used to overthink this and now given some experience, just go 87 which is what Mercury recommends. I throw fuel stabilizer in as my only precaution since it is used at a much slower rate than my cars.
    This is what I do. The problem in my area is, I'm not sure of the turnover on non-ethanol fuel.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

11. Member
    Yamaha recommends 89 in the 250 SHO.
    i have to hunt to find it.
    87 and 91 seem to be more available.

12. Member
    Here 87 10% ethanol is around $2.60 and the rec fuel is $3.99....damnit I'm going to just start looking for 87 and adding the stabilizer. What's recommend? Stabil?
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    Here 87 10% ethanol is around $2.60 and the rec fuel is $3.99....damnit I'm going to just start looking for 87 and adding the stabilizer. What's recommend? Stabil?
    I use Mercury Quickare and Quickleen every time I add gas and when I was putting the boat up for the winter would add QuickStor to the last tank and run it through the system.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...cts/fuel-care/
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax