ZO6

36v trolling motor run on 24 v?

I have a spare 36 v Motorguide Great White trolling motor. I want to use it on a small aluminum boat. I can use 3 batteries but don't need and want the hassle of 3 batteries aside from the weight issue. 2 is enough of a hassle. In a perfect world, I would buy a new 12 volt motor but I'm not if I can reasonably make this work on 24 volts. How well will it work? Am I going to be paddling home because my setup (24v) ruins something unintentionally?

2. Member
    It will work, but not for long. I had a Minn Kota come in the shop a while back and the guy thought it was 24 volt, but it was 36. It burnt the Armature up, which is what the lower voltage will do in your case also. If you desire a 12 volt motor Just get that and you will be done. Sell the GW 36.

3. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    It will work, but not for long. I had a Minn Kota come in the shop a while back and the guy thought it was 24 volt, but it was 36. It burnt the Armature up, which is what the lower voltage will do in your case also. If you desire a 12 volt motor Just get that and you will be done. Sell the GW 36.
    Thanks