Thread: License Check

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Believe that all you want. It is America after all.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/fishing
    Just got a text back from someone on lone star law, not gonna say his name lol. He said if they have reasonable suspicion you are going to fish, ie. visible fishing poles, they can ask for a license. Odd thing if you weren't going to fish you wouldn't be in any trouble, you don't need a fishing license to operate a bass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    i never said anything about not refusing to show a license

All joking aside my very first response was to JerryT from his post which is #32 on this thraed. Here are his comments...Twice .. second time I refused to show it .. I hadn’t even launched yet or fished .

As you can see the discussion was about not showing it or at least it started out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Just got a text back from someone on lone star law, not gonna say his name lol. He said if they have reasonable suspicion you are going to fish, ie. visible fishing poles, they can ask for a license. Odd thing if you weren't going to fish you wouldn't be in any trouble, you don't need a fishing license to operate a bass boat.

Reuse to show it then if asked even if you are not fishing. Its your prerogative..

4. Banned
    Reuse to show it then if asked even if you are not fishing. Its your prerogative..
    Oh I would show mine, its just not hill worth dying on for me.

5. Member
    Been checked twice in the past few weeks on Tensas River,..Both very polite checks,...buddy and I pulled into a lake off of the river during hunting season. Two wardens were checking some guys squirrel hunting. The younger officer motioned to us to pull up and show them our hunting license, we told him we were fishing so he ask for our fishing license,....the older gentleman seemed annoyed by his partner said "how bout we wait until we see them fishing" and turned to us and said have a good day fellas. We waited until we trolled around the corner to start laughing out loud.
    08 Triton TR-21 Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Maybe 8 times plus a couple of friendly chats where the warden never asked to see my license. Not sure why they didn't check me. Clearly I'd been fishing but I guess they don't figure a guy doing C&R with fly gear is going to skip out on buying a license?

I have gotten checked twice in the same day on Skitook lake. Even checked my basket .(crappie fishing)

Twice fishing and 3 times hunting(2 duck and 1 deer) I have a lot of respect for that profession. I really despise a poacher.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

All joking aside you would not have been allowed to.launch here if you did that and probably would have been ticketed at the least if not arrested. Game wardens do not play here and failure to identify or show required licenses usually do not end well.
    He didn’t ask for my drivers license .. he wanted to see my fishing license .. while I was in the parking lot .. A BBC member who I was going fishing with showed up shortly after this so I can bring a witness if need be lol

I turned off the main route to head to the lake he was in front of me for the last mile leading to the ramp ..I Pull into the boat ramp and he swings in the out exit for the ramp .. as I got out of my truck he got out of his and approached me .. I said hello .. no hello back .. just a “can I see your fishing license “ unfortunately maybe I replied to quickly with “Fishing license? I’m not even fishing” he came back with “well your going to right “. At this point I will admit I gave a pretty snooty reply of I might just go for a boat ride to cool off it’s been a hot day at work and I’m burning up

I then mentioned that I pulled in right behind him and noticed he came right to me and none of the people shore fishing and asked if he planned on checking any of them ... so i might have deserved this reply but he says “I might “ and I did laugh

I said I will make you a deal you check any of the people actually fishing I will gladly show you my license even though I might not fish today .. in this short amount of time 2 shore fisherman already hit the road .. one woman is up to her waist casting .. He calls to her and she does not even turn around .. takes another few calls to her and he asks to see her fishing license.. she yells back I am not fishing my son is and I am just holding the pole for him and points to her kid who is playing in a sand pile in the parking lot .. he just shrugs and starts walking back to his truck ... now I am actually pissed as I have seen this plenty of times here .. I blurted out something like “great work” .. launched my boat and proceeded drive back and fourth in front of the boat ramp (legal distance of course ) until my fishing partner showed up .. he grabs his rods and the officer gets out of his truck as I am picking him up off the ramp .. once again me fully admitting to taking it to far and being an ass yelled out “he is just going for a boat ride too” and he did a 180 back to his truck .. partner didn’t know what the hell to think

I wish we did have stricter wildlife enforcement like you and others have Mark.. they only stop the people who they think won’t be a problem .. easy call in maybe write you a ticket for not having a bailing bucket ect

It just took me 2 years to get a response for them to come to a local lake because they were afraid and said they didn’t have the man power in case “it went bad” when they finally showed 11 of 12 jet skis on the lake that day had the same reg numbers .. they wrote a few tickets and let them go home .. they all came back the next weekend .. and I’m back to calling every trip again

A jet ski went between my boat trailer and my boat full bore as Capecodbasser was driving my boat on..... but they want to see my license when I’m not fishing .. Huh ??

Sorry for the long post but want to express why I didn’t just whip out my fishing license when they only check the guys who pay the cost to actually be using the resource

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Sorry for the long post but want to express why I didn’t just whip out my fishing license when they only check the guys who pay the cost to actually be using the resource
    No need to apologize Jerry, but I kind of made the same point in one sentence, in post #88.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    He didn’t ask for my drivers license .. he wanted to see my fishing license .. while I was in the parking lot .. A BBC member who I was going fishing with showed up shortly after this so I can bring a witness if need be lol

I turned off the main route to head to the lake he was in front of me for the last mile leading to the ramp ..I Pull into the boat ramp and he swings in the out exit for the ramp .. as I got out of my truck he got out of his and approached me .. I said hello .. no hello back .. just a “can I see your fishing license “ unfortunately maybe I replied to quickly with “Fishing license? I’m not even fishing” he came back with “well your going to right “. At this point I will admit I gave a pretty snooty reply of I might just go for a boat ride to cool off it’s been a hot day at work and I’m burning up

I then mentioned that I pulled in right behind him and noticed he came right to me and none of the people shore fishing and asked if he planned on checking any of them ... so i might have deserved this reply but he says “I might “ and I did laugh

I said I will make you a deal you check any of the people actually fishing I will gladly show you my license even though I might not fish today .. in this short amount of time 2 shore fisherman already hit the road .. one woman is up to her waist casting .. He calls to her and she does not even turn around .. takes another few calls to her and he asks to see her fishing license.. she yells back I am not fishing my son is and I am just holding the pole for him and points to her kid who is playing in a sand pile in the parking lot .. he just shrugs and starts walking back to his truck ... now I am actually pissed as I have seen this plenty of times here .. I blurted out something like “great work” .. launched my boat and proceeded drive back and fourth in front of the boat ramp (legal distance of course ) until my fishing partner showed up .. he grabs his rods and the officer gets out of his truck as I am picking him up off the ramp .. once again me fully admitting to taking it to far and being an ass yelled out “he is just going for a boat ride too” and he did a 180 back to his truck .. partner didn’t know what the hell to think

I wish we did have stricter wildlife enforcement like you and others have Mark.. they only stop the people who they think won’t be a problem .. easy call in maybe write you a ticket for not having a bailing bucket ect

It just took me 2 years to get a response for them to come to a local lake because they were afraid and said they didn’t have the man power in case “it went bad” when they finally showed 11 of 12 jet skis on the lake that day had the same reg numbers .. they wrote a few tickets and let them go home .. they all came back the next weekend .. and I’m back to calling every trip again

A jet ski went between my boat trailer and my boat full bore as Capecodbasser was driving my boat on..... but they want to see my license when I’m not fishing .. Huh ??

12. Member
    Age 68, never checked

Just to add so I don’t have to edit .. I’m all for enforcement as long as it’s enforcement for all... white bucket crews on every lake I fish every time and they don’t have a worry in the world about being caught.. I can call it in 100 times no one ever shows

14. Banned
    Last time I was checked it was from Allen Co, they drove aluminum boat into side, tied up and entered my boat. Checked live well,fire extinguisher, horn/whistle, and I believe paddle. I was with my wife, 10-11 yr old son and clearly fishing. Never asked for fishing license.

They thought they could piggy back tied up to my boat while using binoculars to check on others. I see those two often but they don’t bother anymore.

15. Member
    If they ask you to show it along with your ID I bet you show it. Required or not.
    I have been asked many times for fishing license no issue showing it. I have been asked twice, and twice refused, to show my driver license while fishing. Im fishing not driving all they need is my fishing license and that is what I show.

16. robdy72
    One time for license and once for a survey.

Probably 40 times.

Got checked one year like 15 times, never any violations

18. Member
    Been fishing Iowa and Nebraska since I moved here in 2000 never been asked to show a fishing license. Get equipment checks and evasive species checks a lot. When I lived in Florida it would be a rare occurrence that you would not get checked. Once on Rodman we got checked at the boat ramp when launching the same guy checked us two more times while fishing, he was more interested in what we had in the live well. The second time we had almost our limits on crappie. There were 4 of us fishing and the limit is 50 crappie per person he spent 20 minutes checking every fish for length.
    John the Garage Doorman

19. Member
    Yep. Especially if you go to Arkansas duck hunting from out of state. They have to make 95% of their budget during those few months.

They gave me a ticket once for not having my license on me while I was standing in 3' - 4' of water all day hunting flooded timber. My wallet/license was 100' away in the Jon boat in my blind bag. 100% money grab because they know you're not going to come back to contest it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rivertrail View Post
    I'm 48 and been checked a handful of times while fishing - usually just show my license and life jackets. Duck hunting on the other hand I've been checked more times than i can count.

Not a single time. Been fishing regularly since 1990’s.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast