1988 Mercury with an Auto Blender not working

Greetings...
    Sunday I went out and the motor continually would bog out.
    After a few seconds it would fire, blow a big cloud of smoke and die.
    There is also a puddle of oil in and around the motor cowling.

My suspicion is that the auto blender is malfunctioning and pushing far too much oil through the fuel line.

Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if too much oil is harmful or if some sort of seal broke that is allowing the oil to leak out and arounf the motor...

I'm hoping that I can simply remove the auto blender and go direct to the fuel source and just mix my own when I fill up from now on.

2. Member
    I have a '87, thinking about deleting this also, whenever I put it back together.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I have a '87, thinking about deleting this also, whenever I put it back together.
    I've read a few terrible reviews but this one has worked great for 31 years...Just hoping I haven't damaged the motor

4. Member
    Correct, I'll gladly mix, for the piece of mind. Even if it means changing plugs yearly. Changing that #6 plug though, ugh !
    To delete auto blend, do you simply remove the oil tank, disconnect the wires on it, then splice the fuel line back together?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Correct, I'll gladly mix, for the piece of mind. Even if it means changing plugs yearly. Changing that #6 plug though, ugh !
    To delete auto blend, do you simply remove the oil tank, disconnect the wires on it, then splice the fuel line back together?
    Yep...although I didn't splice. I had enough fuel line to run it direct to the motor...

BUT...before I did that I noticed that I wasn't getting fuel to the motor. Even the bulb wasn't pumping fuel through and the bulb and fuel line are both less than six-months old. I could hear the bulb trying but fuel wasn't coming through. When I traced back to the gas tank and opened it up I noticed that the 1/2" white pick-up tube was cracked all the way down and when I lifted the connector assembly out the tube easily fell off.
    I replaced this tube...pumped the bulb...and blammo...problem solved.

I mixed some oil and gas and she ran perfect...fired FAR BETTER than before...I guess this tube has been slowly cracking over a period of time and bit by bit I've been losing pressure without noticing and just though she was just getting old and hard to start. After running great on mixed oil, I put the auto-blender back in and she still runs great...

I'm going to leave the blender in for now for the convenience since it's an easy switch that I can do on the lake if needed later...