Banned

Welders/engineers step on in

Tig Welding 4" 106B carbon

Problem is somehow it has become magnetized.

Is their a easy cure/tip/trick?

We are taking 40' and welding 5 together for 200' then feeding through a bender to make coils. Problem is two coils have to be welded together and have are magnetic now.

Have tried wrapping the ground clockwise and counterclockwise no change. Heated the pipe to 800 from bevel to 1' no change. Beat the pipe with hammer.
    Last edited by jarhead175; 08-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.

2. Member
    I am thinking your welder has lost its earth ground. Try grounding the metal to an earth ground while you are welding...

3. Member
    Get a stick setup rigged. Wrap the lead (not ground) around the pipe, one person start welding on a sacrificial piece, another person slowly dial down the amperage. That'll usually pull it out.
    Beating on the pipe, as well as heating it probably won't help. A local NDE vendor should also be able to help out if you can't pull it out with the welder., or, there is actually a companies that strictly are in business due degauss materials.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

4. Banned
    That's about what I wanted to do and the QC had a fit when I said 6010.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    That's about what I wanted to do and the QC had a fit when I said 6010.
    your electrode has absolutely”nothing to do with it! You are creating what is called a “diminishing field” by (while burning a rod), essentially creating your own magnetic field with the lead, and reducing it as your partner tuns down your amperage. Again, burn the rod on a scrap piece of metal to see if you can reduce the magnetism in pipe enough to get your tacks in. When putting in the root,(and for that matter, filling/capping, keep your rig lead wrapped around it as well. The worst part as far as the magnetism is concerned is when you close your window.

if you’re running a foot switch, use it when pulling out, but about 10x slower than normal.

let me know how you make out, I may have seen another trick or two
    Last edited by Fishing Addict; 08-20-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

6. Banned
    QC pulled the plug and has someone coming out to demagnetize it tomorrow. He came out with some device with a probe attached and said it was too high to mess with I was already on a different weld by then.

The reason he had a fit about my 6010 comment was it's a code shop that only has procedures for tig so they won't even allow stick in the door.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    QC pulled the plug and has someone coming out to demagnetize it tomorrow. He came out with some device with a probe attached and said it was too high to mess with I was already on a different weld by then.

The reason he had a fit about my 6010 comment was it's a code shop that only has procedures for tig so they won't even allow stick in the door.
    Can't blame him for that if there is no wps for stick.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    Can't blame him for that if there is no wps for stick.
    WPS has nothing to do with it. You need to attempt to demag the material first, if unsuccessful there are many other methods. WPS only comes into play when Welding the pipe, very simple.
    Code shop or not, the method I described works well in 40% or so of these situations. It happens all of the time in the field. I’m a bit surprised that the shop doesn’t already have a procedure in place to address the issue since it is a VERY common issue in pipe that has been “re-formed” but, it is what it is.

QC probably is making the right call. If it was over about 5 gauss, you’ll never make it stick without at least trying to demag it. 5 Gauss, you ought to be able to feel a bit of magnetism when you lay your wire on the bevel. 5+ and you can stick a paper clip to it. At the end of the day, having the material degaussed will make your life s whole lot easier.

Of course, I should say that in all likelihood, the shop would have never had this issue if each stick was bent, then welded Vs. Bending a 100’ stick.

please tell me you don’t work for a company that has economasxxxxxx in its name!
    I'd Rather be Fishing

9. Member
    As a NDT Level 3 I have had experience de magnetizing. Easiest would be making a coil with your welding leads, place leads on the component and energize then pull the coil away while energized. That method has worked for me before. It’s just one of the many methods

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gebass View Post
    As a NDT Level 3 I have had experience de magnetizing. Easiest would be making a coil with your welding leads, place leads on the component and energize then pull the coil away while energized. That method has worked for me before. It’s just one of the many methods
    My brother, AKA “diminishing field” works more times than not and is the simplest. However, dragging the coil a couple hundred feet is not overly practical.
    not to mention, in all likelihood, both pipe sections are magnetized, causing a field reversal, thus, blowing the filler to one side, (or holding MT Powder).
    Again, several methods can be utilized.

One day I’ll take the exams.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addict View Post
    WPS has nothing to do with it. You need to attempt to demag the material first, if unsuccessful there are many other methods. WPS only comes into play when Welding the pipe, very simple.
    Code shop or not, the method I described works well in 40% or so of these situations. It happens all of the time in the field. I’m a bit surprised that the shop doesn’t already have a procedure in place to address the issue since it is a VERY common issue in pipe that has been “re-formed” but, it is what it is.

QC probably is making the right call. If it was over about 5 gauss, you’ll never make it stick without at least trying to demag it. 5 Gauss, you ought to be able to feel a bit of magnetism when you lay your wire on the bevel. 5+ and you can stick a paper clip to it. At the end of the day, having the material degaussed will make your life s whole lot easier.

Of course, I should say that in all likelihood, the shop would have never had this issue if each stick was bent, then welded Vs. Bending a 100’ stick.

please tell me you don’t work for a company that has economasxxxxxx in its name!
    I'm not saying anything about what you posted but if a code weld is made not following documented procedures you are going to have trouble with your insurance inspectors.

If you use a stick for a tig weld procedure, it will not pass the inspector because it didnt follow procedure. I dont care how good the stick welder is even if the weld is completely safe and passes every ndt test there is.

12. Member
    I'm not saying anything about what you posted but if a code weld is made not following documented procedures you are going to have trouble with your insurance inspectors.

If you use a stick for a tig weld procedure, it will not pass the inspector because it didnt follow procedure. I dont care how good the stick welder is even if the weld is completely safe and passes every ndt test there is.
    Utilizing a sacrificial piece of material as a conductor prior to welding the code pipe has zero bearing on anything because it is simply not a code weld. All you are doing is attempting to degauss the material. I am unaware of any ASME, AWS, or API standard that addresses NOT touching the base metal. Now, if for example, we wrap the lead around the pipe, and fire up on the root with 6010, when the WPS states Er 90 SB3, someone better be breaking out a metabo
    I'd Rather be Fishing

13. Banned
    Utilizing a sacrificial piece of material as a conductor prior to welding the code pipe has zero bearing on anything because it is simply not a code weld. All you are doing is attempting to degauss the material. I am unaware of any ASME, AWS, or API standard that addresses NOT touching the base metal. Now, if for example, we wrap the lead around the pipe, and fire up on the root with 6010, when the WPS states Er 90 SB3, someone better be breaking out a metabo
    My original reply was to the OP about using a 6010 when they didnt have a procedure for it, nothing more.

14. Member
    My original reply was to the OP about using a 6010 when they didnt have a procedure for it, nothing more.
    I saw it a bit different at the time. And,you’re right, no chance an AI willsign that package.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

15. Banned

Can't bend then then weld it's going through a bender and being rolled into coils for internals.20190815_084700.jpg