Ranger Livewell Problem

Hope you guys can help me.....I have a 2014 Ranger 521C and I am having problem keeping water in my livewell. When aerators are on and my valve is turned to "recirculate",

water is leaking out of the hole in back that is used for "pumping out" into a bag for weigh ins. I have to keep my valve on "auto" just to keep water in my livewell. Has anybody had a problem like this???

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Sounds like time to rebuild the valves in the livewell system. Crud builds up on these valves, which prevents them from closing properly.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Is that hard to do???

4. Member
    I would reach inside the livewell and work the red spray head in and out a few times before tearing things apart. Pushed all the way in should seal it and it may be partially out.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger8470 View Post
    Is that hard to do???
    Not my favorite job. There are 2 threads on the subject under the sticky, “Ranger maintenance tips and tricks.” Top of main forum page. Or just take the boat to your Ranger dealer.

6. Member
    EDR - Not sure mine has a red spray head.

7. Member
    If you have a livewell pump out, you most likely have the RED spray head. Assuming you are talking about the hole in back on the top gunnel, not the bottom under the motor.
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

Red spray head pulled out , push in
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

9. Member
    Mine has the lever by console that can be switched from "pump out" or "recirculate".

10. Member
    Inside the live well in the upper corner there is a red nozzle where the water sprays into the live well. Push it in and see if that fixes your issue.

The nozzle allows you to pump water out of the livewell at the back of the boat. It sounds like your nozzle is pulled out and you just aren’t aware of the function. If you push it in and it still pumps out the back, then something is wrong.
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Mine has the lever by console that can be switched from "pump out" or "recirculate".
    Now I’m confused. I had a 2014 Z520C, nearly the same boat, and it had a red nozzle inside the driver’s side livewell that controlled the pump out function. It did not have a lever near the console with “pump out” on it, but maybe the boat didn’t originally have a pump out function [though I thought that pump out was a stock item of 2014 C boats] and an aftermarket pump-out function was added later? Maybe a picture of that control lever would help us understand what the OP is dealing with. The lever near the console should read, clockwise from the left: recirc/empty/auto. “Empty” in this case does not mean pump out; it simply means opening a valve to let the livewell contents drain by gravity.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 08-22-2019 at 06:56 AM.

12. Member
    My boat has two levers....One with recirc/pump out and other is recirc/empty/auto. livewell.JPG

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Have never seen that setup myself, but I believe it brings us back to potential valve issues. I kind of doubt you have a red nozzle in the livewell in addition to all those levers. Does the recirc/pump out lever seem to work? That is, does it have resistance when you move the lever, to indicate that it is moving something [i.e., a valve]? If so, if water goes out the pump out when it’s firmly set on recirc, either the cable attached to the lever isn’t quite getting the valve [attached at the other end] moved into the closed position, or else the valve itself has a defect preventing it from making a watertight seal.

14. Member
    My 520l has that setup.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

15. Member
    I can see the water leaking out the back when on recirculate, so the valve im guessing is not getting shut. I was hoping it would be a simple fix but now im not sure.

16. Member
    I can see the water leaking out the back when on recirculate, so the valve im guessing is not getting shut. I was hoping it would be a simple fix but now im not sure.
    Very simple fix just buy the rebuild kit from flow-rite replace the rubber flaps and your done. Kit is $10. from flow-rite
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Ok thanks.

18. Member
    https://www.flow-rite.com/wp-content...ts/systems.pdf

System 5 for the secondary pump out switch.

Manually move the valve to make sure the arm is getting full movement.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Very simple fix just buy the rebuild kit from flow-rite replace the rubber flaps and your done. Kit is $10. from flow-rite
    Either THIS^^^ or just take the valve apart and clean the crud off the flappers.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Thank you!!