Question Voltage question

Trying to help a buddy out. He has 998. It won't come on. I checked voltage and it tested 1.49 at input to unit. Starting battery tested 12.4. I checked both trolling motor batteries at 12.8 for comparison. Starting battery starts his 150 HP with no problem. I clean all connections leading to 998. Voltage now at unit input 12.49. 998 still will not come on. I removed power connector from hardness and individually put on back of unit and wiggle while pushing power on button. Nothing won't come on. I did not have transducer, and GPS connected while wiggling connection if that matters. Is this unit history? Is 12.49 enough voltage? Help /comments appreciated! Thanks

Is another Humminbird number series or Helix available to test the power connection?

While 12.49 is enough to support the unit, that has to be under load, not measured with a VOM since a meter does not put a load on the circuit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne......will hunt another unit to try. What are the chances a new battery that produces 12.8 might correct problem? I guess I can answer that question by trying his unit on another boat that will accept the 998.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Thanks Wayne......will hunt another unit to try. What are the chances a new battery that produces 12.8 might correct problem? I guess I can answer that question by trying his unit on another boat that will accept the 998.
    The unit specs state voltage range 10-20V.

Just need another power source with the PC-10 or PC-11 plug. Don't need to match the unit model. That is any Humminbird unit with a number name or Helix. Some older models use that power cord also, the MATRIX 97 I had did.
    Just remove the power cord plug from the cable collector and plug the power cord into the back of the unit with the plug tab pointed up---it won't work with the polarity reversed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL