USA 3 in 1 vs 2 in 1 active imaging - new boat

I am trying to decide which one of these duckers to install on the console unit,,,, any reason to go with the 2 in 1 over the 3 in 1 - these will be hooked to a 12” HDS Live unit.

I have the 2 in 1 and a through hull for 2D. The 2 in 1 is out of the water when on plan but I can still get reading from the 2D. With a three 3 in 1, based on what I was told, I would have to constantly switch back to through hull if I wanted to get those reading while on plane.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Bruce...

You are correct that you have the option to switch back and forth between an in-hull and 3n1 2D (as was pointed out in the last few paragraphs of the linked blog). There are advantages in having both. As the Live units (and the Elite Ti2) come with a 3n1, we normally install those as well as an in-hull and set the user up with a named source selection....makes it easy to select what you want to use.

Most folks leave it on the in-hull unless they are idling/scanning. The external 3n1 is MUCH more sensitive and you don't get the line at the bottom when using Fish Reveal (again as pointed out in the blog).

The ONE minor correction needed to the blog is the mention that the Elite Ti2 isn't available in the Y cable kit...which may have been the case when it was written but is now available (eg. Elite Ti2 12 - 000-14662-001). Unfortunately, Lowrance refuses to sell the Y cable adapter by itself (for folks that purchased the wrong package)...short sighted but what can you do.

I always recommend the 3n1 as it gives you more options.

4. Member
    I was planning on upgrading the Ti unit on my G3 to a Ti2 unit. I was told that I could not run a 3 in 1 transducer for running at low speeds and a puck thru in hull when on plane unless it was a Live unit. Are you stating that it is possible to do this on the Ti2 unit?
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    I was planning on upgrading the Ti unit on my G3 to a Ti2 unit. I was told that I could not run a 3 in 1 transducer for running at low speeds and a puck thru in hull when on plane unless it was a Live unit. Are you stating that it is possible to do this on the Ti2 unit?
    On an aluminum boat you obviously cannot do a thru hull...but yes it is for fiberglass. You just need to purchase the Ti2 with the Y cable option...it comes with a 2D xducer and a 2n1 with a Y cable.

With the AL boat, you would just mount the 2D on the hull as a skimmer (needs to be in the water all the time) and mount the AI where it isn't in the water when the boat is on plane to protect it. The other option is just use the 3n1 and use a transducer shield/saver armor plate and the SB4 spring bracket kit...so WHEN you hit something it kicks up and springs back in place. Using that kit, you can mount the 3n1 where it will pick up while on plane without much risk of damage.

couple of options...

6. Member
    Thanks Roy
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Member
    Very good info - Thanks!