Did I really mess up?

Had some work done to the trailer, didn't know that when they pulled it out of the shop that they engaged the trailer brake. I could feel that it wasn't pulling right, but I had an appointment to get to, so I drove it home. Only 13 miles. Do you guys think I did anything other than causing the pads to wear a little faster?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Most likely not...

Hopefully you just took a little rubber off the tire.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

4. Member
    I don't have this trailer yet will next week but I know a little about brakes. If they are in hat style eBrake pads you may have worn a lot life out of them and eBrake may need adjustment to hold correctly. From the looks of the handle it looks like same style thats in a lot of International medium duty trucks and if they are not to bad all you need to do to adjust them is turn the handle (lefty loosey, Righty tighty).

I would also keep and eye on your wheel seals for next few trip any leakage of grease or oil could mean you made to much heat and may have worn or warped the seals and if so the bearings could have been effected by the heat also (this isn't very likely but it is possible if the trip was far enough and if the brakes were set really tight).

Easiest tests I can think to do would be jack up axles and check for bearing play (good to do this 1-2 times a year anyways). To test ebrake hook it to your truck get your self on dirt somewhere and set the trailer ebrake and try pulling forward with your truck, trailer tires should not roll they should skid over the dirt. If they roll then most likely you need to service them either your self or have a pro do them. If they skid over the dirt they have enough holding power to keep the trailer from rolling on mostly flat ground (I wouldn't trust them on a slop or a hill but then again I wouldn't trust them brand new on a hill).
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Tony
    you should be fine. I’ve had it happen twice......once by me and once by my dealer. No damage tomto emrgency brake.

6. Member
    Did something similar... felt bad about it but no harm done other than to my pride
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Did something similar a couple of weeks ago. brake started smoking at a traffic light is how I noticed it. Ultimately the left rear tandem hub the spindle seal started leaking and leaked out all the hybrid oil (UFP Vault hubs). Just got the new bearings and seals in the mail yesterday to replace all. In the mean time I had to remove the end cap and pump the hub full of Lucas marine grease to keep from burning up the bearings before the new parts arrived.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    I forgot mine leaving the brake engaged a few times pulling out of the garage for a few miles. After that, I would try to use the brake lever in my garage and the boat would roll. Thinking it was just wear on the pad, I tightened the brake handle to the point I had to push really hard to engage the brake and it would still roll. I pulled the calipers off and saw glazing on the pads. Not until I replaced the pads and sanded the rotors did the rolling stop. Not to mention, I noticed the caliper piston seals on both my rear calipers had come loose from the caliper and I had corrosion on the pistons. I'm not sure if this is just a design flaw or the excessive heat from keeping the brakes engaged while driving caused this. I put the seals back on with new pads and it doesn't roll any longer and brakes great on the road, HOWEVER, I no longer use the hand brake any longer ... just a wheel chuck, it's not worth the trouble. Lastly, I went with Bosch ceramic pads and couldn't be happier. I have no brake dust. Some have noted needing to be cautious of using ceramic pads and putting the trailer in the water to fast or the pads will crack. I've never had the issue.... piston
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Had some work done to the trailer, didn't know that when they pulled it out of the shop that they engaged the trailer brake. I could feel that it wasn't pulling right, but I had an appointment to get to, so I drove it home. Only 13 miles. Do you guys think I did anything other than causing the pads to wear a little faster?
    .204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!

9. Member
    Thanks guys, excellent info!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO