1999 200 Opti Priming Issue???

Serial #0G886121 --- I'm having an issue with getting my primer ball to stay firm, and thus the engine to run right. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to bulb (3/8"), and from the bulb to diaphragm pump (5/16") along with installing a new bulb (Mercury OEM bulb). I also rebuilt the diaphragm pump (Mercury parts kit). I can get the bulb to sometimes get firm, but then it will go soft again after shutting down. What's weird is when I try to pump it back up (bulb soft again), a lot of times it feels like fuel is kind of bubbling through, or back feeding??? I can take the line off the diaphragm pump, and it's like it got a lot of air in it. Leaving the line off I can eventually get it to push fuel out the end of the line by pumping the primer ball again. It starts out spitting, but will finally start pushing a stream. However, when I hook it back up, I go through the same issue. Could it be something with my diaphragm pump causing this? I looked, and didn't see anything wrong with the rebuild??? Thanks.

2. Member
    Point the arrow on the side of the bulb towards the sky. The bulb is not supposed to stay hard while the motor is running.

3. Member
    Thanks, and I'll look at this. What is the best way though with the bulb/hose laying in the splash well?

4. Member
    If you don’t have enough extra hose to hold the bulb vertical, you can add a little hose. Losing prime and having air in the fuel makes me think you have a leak between the bulb and the tank.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind that today's fuels vaporize at very low ambient temps. Bulb must be pumped firm before EVERY engine start (especially important in warmer temps).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor