Weird 4S question

S/N 2B571507. 2019 250 Pro XS 250. Been in thick weeds this weekend so I thought I would clean those upper water filters and use the garden hose flush out to clean out the block and related water passages. Somehow during unscrewing the cap off the flush out and getting ready to screw the hose to the fitting, a yellow hose washer ended up on the ground under the motor. Did that come from the Merc flush out cap or is that from the nozzle on my hose? Does the Merc actually have a common hose washer in the cap? Thanks for any help! I know, stupid.

Yes
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

3. mikesxpress
    Apply a little Super Lube synthetic grease to the washer and it will stay put. That flushing hose assembly is one of the best things Mercury has done yet to an engine.

4. Member
    OK, thanks guys for the answers. was a little confused. While on the subject of flushing, is there a third filter lower on the engine that should be cleaned?

5. mikesxpress
    The strainer on the rear of the engine.

6. Member
    So mikesxpress, Ive cleaned the two upper ones. Are you confirming that there is a third screen/filter somewhere else on the rear of the engine? Do I need to remove the mid section cowling to get to it?
    Last edited by fuelleak; 08-20-2019 at 07:51 AM.

7. mikesxpress
    Gary I would suggest you obtain the Mercury engine manual for use on in-depth preventive maitence for your engine. It will answer most all your questions.

I'm not sure what "two upper ones" you are referring to? Do a search in this forum for strainer as it was described and a picture included. It is located on the lower back of the engine and can be accessed by just removing the cowling. *Another Mercury improvement over previous engines.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

You can also lookup the hoses and strainers in the Parts Catalog on our website (by serial number)... that reference is sometimes helpful.

European Marine Parts Department

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    SN 1E080631

Mike these are the 2 strainers. One is the exhaust and the other is the exhaust spray.
    Theres also 2 strainers in the mid section I think but have not found any information on them.

Last edited by spider1; 08-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.

10. mikesxpress
    Connor those two on the back are the easy ones and only the removable strainer (exhaust tube sprayer strainer) with the snap fitting is shown in the manual as a maitence/service item. The upper bolt on (exhaust sprayer strainer) is not. Doesn't mean you don't need to check occasionally, but Mercury doesn't list it in the maitence section. If you look at the cooling diagram, the removable strainer is the inlet for all the cooling water. It should catch the junk.

Mercury doesn't list the port/starboard strainers on the lower exhaust tube for maitence either. Need to pull the clam shells off to get to those (PIA). I was looking at them when the shift actuator recall required the clams come off. The port side one (water pump indicator mid section strainer) is about 4"X1.5", has two bolts holding it on, two hoses going to it, and has bunch of 1/16" strainer holes inside. The starboard side one (block & head drain strainer) is similar to the top strainer on the back of the engine as it is attached with one bolt and it is twice as long where it protrudes into the exhaust. They are strainers. Do they need to be cleaned/serviced? One might think so but no where in the manual does it address them for maitence. They are only shown in the 5A drive shaft housing/exhaust tube section for disassembly/assembly and in the colored cooling fold out diagram at the back of the manual.

11. Member
    Mike I had trash in both upper strainers and just wondering what the other 2 look like.

At least you don’t have to pull the power head like the 300xs opit. Lol

12. mikesxpress
    What type of trash did you find in the upper bolt secured exhaust sprayer strainer? Engine build trash or weed residue? How many hours on your engine?

13. Member
    Looks like a weed residue. Engine hours about 17.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=spider1;10484674]SN 1E080631

Mike these are the 2 strainers. One is the exhaust and the other is the exhaust spray.
    Theres also 2 strainers in the mid section I think but have not found any information on them.

Thanks for the video.