Thread: P2 Setup

P2 Setup

I just purchased a 2008 P2 w/ 2017 ProXS and looking for input on ideal setup. It currently has a 26P Tempest+, which I suspect I need to swap for a Fury 3. What is a good starting point on height? Looking for best all around prop and typically carry a light load.

Thanks in advance
    2015 Phoenix 819

2. Member
    What is your current setup doing or not doing that makes you want to change something? A 25 Fury 3 works well on mine.

3. Member
    I drove it to 69 the first time driving it. Plenty of bow lift, but doesn’t handle like I think it should. Previous owner says that’s the best he’s gotten out of it. Motor looks to be around 4” below pad now and blows out in sharp turns at low speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    What is your current setup doing or not doing that makes you want to change something? A 25 Fury 3 works well on mine.
    2015 Phoenix 819

4. Member
    I would suggest a 24-25 pitch Fury 3.
    What are your RPM's at WOT?
    I have 2016 PII, 200 Merc. Dual consoles. Twin Power poles. I run a 24 Fury 3. 71-72 mph at 5800 RPM's. Live wells full, I will still see over 70 mph.
    The JP is about 1/8 inch above flush.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    Its been over 2 years since I owned a BCB and I forgot that they use the top of the slide master as a gauge. What is the proper hole for the motor to be mounted on? This was repowered in in 2017, so I want to make sure I’m using the correct reference.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I would suggest a 24-25 pitch Fury 3.
    What are your RPM's at WOT?
    I have 2016 PII, 200 Merc. Dual consoles. Twin Power poles. I run a 24 Fury 3. 71-72 mph at 5800 RPM's. Live wells full, I will still see over 70 mph.
    The JP is about 1/8 inch above flush.
    2015 Phoenix 819

6. Member
    Totally agree with Cajunhunter67's set up if running a slidemaster manual jackplate. If I remember right, that will give you about 3.25" P2P. I ran a 25p Fury3 for best results on my 2015 model w/200 ProXS. Tried a 26p Fury3 but didn't gain any top end...just a bit more sluggish with mid-range response and holeshot.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

7. Member
    I run a 26 tempest on my P2. My plate if I remember correctly is an inch to an inch and a quarter above flush. It runs 70 loaded with fuel and 2 people. By myself it runs 72.5 and is on the rev limiter.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

The 26 Tempest is not a bad prop for the PII. It just needs to be run a little higher and steering torque will be higher but very manageable. Fury3s will most likely be a 25 but could be a 26 if you run real light. I also found that the Fury3s need worked to add more bow lift if you run a heavier TM like an Fortrex or Ultrex.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    25 fury is the deal

10. Member
    In my experience I find the tempest gave too much lift and not as good mid range. It does pull harder (steering torque). My P2 does not like trim so its set up to run a little flatter. I trim til the hull releases and fully on pad. At that point one more bump gets a little torque on the steering. If you are getting blowout and you are pretty sure the engine is not too high I would also suspect slip on the top end. That may explain the slightly slower top speed there. A Fury will probably want to run deeper so if you get your hands on a 25 Fury to try the first thing I would do is drop the height and run the tempest just to see what it does. Then run the fury. If you don't have any steering torque with a fury when you just get it on step or slightly above without too much trim go up 1/8 inch til you start to feel a little torque on the wheel at the best trim angle for running. That has always worked for me on just about any boat. Sunday going up current I ran 72+ with livewells full and pretty good load with just me. Down current almost touched 74. I think a lot of handling issues on BassCats have to do with people using too much trim. A basscat is not fast because its light, it runs well probably because you don't have to waste power trimmed up to lift the bow. At a certain point the hull will do the work with slight trim adjustments. A little trim goes a long way.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    25 fury is the deal
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    In my experience I find the tempest gave too much lift and not as good mid range. It does pull harder (steering torque). My P2 does not like trim so its set up to run a little flatter. I trim til the hull releases and fully on pad. At that point one more bump gets a little torque on the steering. If you are getting blowout and you are pretty sure the engine is not too high I would also suspect slip on the top end. That may explain the slightly slower top speed there. A Fury will probably want to run deeper so if you get your hands on a 25 Fury to try the first thing I would do is drop the height and run the tempest just to see what it does. Then run the fury. If you don't have any steering torque with a fury when you just get it on step or slightly above without too much trim go up 1/8 inch til you start to feel a little torque on the wheel at the best trim angle for running. That has always worked for me on just about any boat. Sunday going up current I ran 72+ with livewells full and pretty good load with just me. Down current almost touched 74. I think a lot of handling issues on BassCats have to do with people using too much trim. A basscat is not fast because its light, it runs well probably because you don't have to waste power trimmed up to lift the bow. At a certain point the hull will do the work with slight trim adjustments. A little trim goes a long way.
    I agree with all of this and experienced all of the same with the 15 Eyra I had. The Tempest does create a lot of lift and there is very little torque on pad. It feels much more loose than the Eyra did. More like an old Tr-20. The blowing out when turning sharp at slow speeds surprised me, but I may need to tuck the motor when doing that, regardless of the prop. I will update when I get a chance to run a 25 Fury and move the plate some.
    2015 Phoenix 819

13. Member
    BTW, a 25 Trophy 4 blade ran surprisingly well. Just make sure it loads the boat on the trailer

14. Member
    I have a 2018 P2 with a 2 stroke 200hp optimax. I had my 25p Fury worked by Ronnie Gilbert. Upon sending it back to me he asked me to raise the motor from the factory setting up about a half inch. Wow. I have much better overall lift. No chine walk, and with a 3/4 a tank of gas, full livewells 2 talons and my partner with full tackle we get around 71mph in the hot/humid summer here in Florida. I can not wait to run this boat in the winter months. I know it will be around 73mph.
    Brad Krone

15. Member
    As some have stated, normally the Fury will need to be worked as they are not consistent in build. I have been told this by Ronnie Gilbert and Rick himself.
    To get the best performance out of a Fury, Ronnie Gilbert is the man to contact.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

^^^^^^^^ He is the Fury Guru for sure, I would not run a Fury unless he has prepped it an in stock form a tempest is usually better overall
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I agree with all of this and experienced all of the same with the 15 Eyra I had. The Tempest does create a lot of lift and there is very little torque on pad. It feels much more loose than the Eyra did. More like an old Tr-20. The blowing out when turning sharp at slow speeds surprised me, but I may need to tuck the motor when doing that, regardless of the prop. I will update when I get a chance to run a 25 Fury and move the plate some.
    I run a 25 Trophy...you've gotta use 4 solid PVS plugs.