Disengaging brakes when backing up

I have a 2018 Z19 with dual axle trailer with surge brakes. I've read where some of the trailers will release the brakes when you put it in reverse. Mine doesn't do that and I have to put the pin in the tongue. I've looked at the manual and can't find whether or not my trailer is supposed to do that. How do I know if mine has the option, and if so, what should I check to troubleshoot?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do you have a 5 pin plug on the trailer?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Do you have a 5 pin plug on the trailer?
    Yes. But I’ve read where I should make sure the blue wire isn’t damaged inside the fold away tongue.... I don’t see a blue wire. Maybe that answers my question?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2018 View Post
    Yes. But I’ve read where I should make sure the blue wire isn’t damaged inside the fold away tongue.... I don’t see a blue wire. Maybe that answers my question?
    On the trailer side plug, one of the pins has rubber around it and the rest are exposed. Trace the wire connected to the exposed pin on the edge.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Sorry, it's not the flat 5-pin plug. It's the round 7-pin type plug.

6. Member
    You can also look up under the folding tongue to see if there is a brake bypass solenoid. If there is then something is just not working properly whether it be wiring or the solenoid it self. The solenoid is not very big.

7. Member
    Also check the fuses in your tow vehicle. I had a blown fuse in my truck for the backup lights and my trailer would not back up without the pin. I replaced the fuse and the problem was solved.

If you have Trailer brakes you will have a reverse solenoid.

U have to verify that you are getting power to the reverse pin in the 7 pin round connector on the truck side.
    Once that is verified you can verify with a volt meter your getting power to the reverse solenoid. If you are its a bad solenoid. if Nay problems exists between Truck and solenoid in the wiring.

You should be able to see the reverse solenoid if u look under the trailer tongue.

I have had the pins on the truck side push in and not make contact in the plug. Could be a fuse too as mentioned above(Check that first). Isolate where you have power and that will help you diagnose the issue.
    Last edited by BMCD; 08-21-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Thanks all. At lunch, I looked and there's a solenoid. I'll start troubleshooting, starting with the fuse in the truck (2017 GMC). Just to be clear, when I put the truck in reverse, it should engage - right? I had a guy tell me that I had to turn on lights too - but he's full of it sometimes. lol

10. Member
    Yeah it should in engage when you put in reverse. The lights don't have to be on. I am thinking its the fuse in your tuck for reverse lights or trailer backup lights.

11. Member
    I just went through this a few months ago. You need to have 12V to the center pin on the 7 round plug on your truck when in reverse. You can test with volt meter. If you do have 12V to that pin when in reverse, it could need a new solenoid. Fortunately, I just had to add this wire on my truck from reverse lamp to center pin. Good luck!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    If you have Trailer brakes you will have a reverse solenoid.
    Good point...lol...brain fade moment for me!!!

Shouldn't have to turn on your lights for the solenoid to activate and bypass the brake system so you can back up without the brakes engaging.