Thread: Merc 150 WOT?

Merc 150 WOT?

97 150 EFI serial #06470911. Wanna know where the sweet spot should be. Still running the oil injection.

2. Member
    prop for 5700-5800
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Great! And not that I want to do it, but, someone told me if I removed the injection and mixed my own I could run higher rpms and be ok. Is that true?

4. Member
    I believe the 2.5 liter has a plastic gear that is considered "weak" if it fails the motor does also. So pre-mixing gives you the peace of mind to run it harder. I premix and go a little rich on oil since I like to run it at the high end-4800-5800 RPM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleBee95 View Post
    Great! And not that I want to do it, but, someone told me if I removed the injection and mixed my own I could run higher rpms and be ok. Is that true?
    how high you wanna run, itll be fine at 58-6000 , did you know that the 225 promax was rated to 6500 and had same injection as you do ,hmmmm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Not to start an oil injection argument, but I personally haven't seen a promax with oil tank still on it. Not even in a picture

7. Member
    I don’t intend to run over the recommended wot. Just asking a question. Years ago I bought a 180 bumblebee with a souped up 175 on it. It had the oil injection removed when I got it. The owner said that he had been told it would run 6200-6500 and be ok. He had a 23 pitch prop on it and you could bury the 6500 at 1/2 throttle. So I put a 27 trophy on and would run in the mid to high 70s about 6200rpms. Boat ran out great til the transom rotted. I was just curious.

BTW thanks for the help guys!

8. Member
    that's some serious soupn on a 175 for sure, youl be fine under 6000 with it on, make sure warning system is working 100% and don't overheat if ya can help it good luck

9. Member
    I'm running a 94 150 promax with The stock oil injection still working perfectly. And it will turn 6500 rpm. I just never run it that hard. Usually 6000 is fast enough.
    can
    Od935509

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 123trentm View Post
    Not to start an oil injection argument, but I personally haven't seen a promax with oil tank still on it. Not even in a picture
    We have several customers still running those.

Rumblebee... I would keep that engine at 6K and below, unless you know for certain you have ALUMINUM caged rod bearings (quite likely you have nylon caged bearings). Those just don't seem to hold up well when you push the 6K mark.

JMHO.....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor