RT198P automatic bilge pump installation.

Since my 2018 Ranger RT198P did not come with an automatic bilge pump I am going to install one. I want to use a thru hull fitting just like the present bilge pump and live well pump out. Based on early observations I’m not sure if I will be able to get to the thru hull fitting to tighten plastic nut after it is installed. That whole area seems to be totally blocked by sheet metal. Has anyone installed a second bilge pump in their RT 198p? If so, any suggestions or tips?

2. Banned
    Why add a second pump? You can buy a switch that attaches in the bilge and wires into your current pump to make it automatic

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Why add a second pump? You can buy a switch that attaches in the bilge and wires into your current pump to make it automatic
    Did not know that but that is a good idea. Could save a lot of aggravation.

4. Banned

5. Member
    I just added a float switch on my original pump. Although to be honest I wish I had a second pump just in case. Going to be a winter project.
    1985 Ranger 373V
    2018 Ranger RT198P *SOLD*
    2019 Ranger Z521C

Yeah I asked the saleman if my RT 198 P had a Auto Bilge and he said YES. When I removed the transom panel, nope. I added a float switch as slonepz suggested.

7. Member
    Could you not add a second pump for redundancy but tee it into the current discharge?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nat103 View Post
    Could you not add a second pump for redundancy but tee it into the current discharge?
    You would need to install a check valve behind the T for both pumps. Plus, you can only push so much water thru a single hose. Having redundancy doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to move more water.

Quote Originally Posted by nat103 View Post
    SeaSense makes a check valve for this.
    https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Dual.../dp/B07V4X998P

I used this on my Hydra Sport and never had any problems. The only problem I ever heard with them is to make sure that they are installed in a way that water doesn't remain in the valve...or to make sure it is drained dry as part of your winterization. In the winter it will freeze and ruin the the valve.

I replaced the manual Rule bilge pump in my RT188 with an automatic that I ordered from Ranger. The new pump came with the proper 3 wire plug to connect into the circuit. Even though my boat did not have an automatic bilge, the plug was included in the wiring harness and zip tied to a bundle behind a transom brace. The installation was almost plug and play.
    The 198P May be set up differently, but it is worth checking into.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Yeah I asked the saleman if my RT 198 P had a Auto Bilge and he said YES. When I removed the transom panel, nope. I added a float switch as slonepz suggested.
    A couple of good replies but shouldn't the dealer install it for you? Especially since the salesman said that you boat had one?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    A couple of good replies but shouldn't the dealer install it for you? Especially since the salesman said that you boat had one?
    Wasn't going to drive all the way back to the dealer, over 3 hours each way for him to do that. Then I would have to wait while they did it. Too much of a hassle. I have some float switches left over from when I was in the repair business, so it was a no brainer and NO cost to me.

Hell, at the time of picking up the boat I wanted to buy a third trolling motor battery as I was installing a 36V trolling motor. He did not know, they did not carry the same batteries as those that came with the boat!
    Also the original trolling motor batteries were wired incorrectly. Had to two in series, but both leads to the trolling motor were on the same battery!

I said it before, when buying my boat, with money in hand, I NEVER saw such a group of sorry arse salesmen in my whole life. Some would not get off their butts to show the boat, some would not return calls after I talked to them in person, some change their story / prices each time I talked to them. And the one I bought from, had no clue to what the boat was all about.

Washed the boat yesterday after a trip in the salt water. Left the plug in on purpose to check the Auto-Bilge modification I did. It worked as expected.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Wasn't going to drive all the way back to the dealer, over 3 hours each way for him to do that. Then I would have to wait while they did it. Too much of a hassle. I have some float switches left over from when I was in the repair business, so it was a no brainer and NO cost to me.

Hell, at the time of picking up the boat I wanted to buy a third trolling motor battery as I was installing a 36V trolling motor. He did not know, they did not carry the same batteries as those that came with the boat!
    Also the original trolling motor batteries were wired incorrectly. Had to two in series, but both leads to the trolling motor were on the same battery!

I said it before, when buying my boat, with money in hand, I NEVER saw such a group of sorry arse salesmen in my whole life. Some would not get off their butts to show the boat, some would not return calls after I talked to them in person, some change their story / prices each time I talked to them. And the one I bought from, had no clue to what the boat was all about.
    Well that is all depressing. Back to the old adage that if you want it done correctly then do it yourself!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway