eagle521

Ranger Trailer problem again

I have a 2006 521VX with the trailer to match. I am the original owner. I love my boat, but hate my trailer and have had nothing but problems with it since the axle bracket failed backing into my driveway. Ranger replaced both my axles, my friends and I did the install. Since then all I have is hubs that fail. Even lost the whole wheel assembly and brake on my way to a tournament one morning. Went through the oil bath hubs, then the grease hubs, and two years ago after one of those failed I went to the Vortex sealed hubs. Changed out all four of them. I thought I solved the problem. Until I decided to rotate my wheels Saturday and sure enough one of the wheels is wobbly. I did not feel any vibration when I was towing, and constantly check my wheels for heat when I get to my destination or when I arrive home. So I ordered another hub from Ranger this morning. Even the person who took my order said you have ordered a lot of hubs in the past. I purchased a spare one two years ago so I will be installing that one tomorrow. These are supposed to warranted for six years or 100,000 miles. So I called Tie Down Engineering this morning and found out they sold that part of the company to Dexter Marine products. I called them and I am waiting for them to get back to me. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to solve my problem with my trailer. Short of ordering a new trailer, I would appreciate it. Thanks, eagle521

2. Member
    I am in the same boat as you and feel your pain and hate my trailer also. 2006 tandem trailer here, original owner, same issue with axle weld failures and replacement axles from Ranger as a good will gesture. Had issues with the oil bath hubs so switched all 4 out to Vortex grease hubs figured that would take care of that problem. I have had two Vortex hubs fail recently that were 4 years old and about 800 miles on them. Rear seals went which allowed grease to sling on the inside of wheels. Never stranded me thankfully like the oil bath failures did. I don't know what to tell you as I struggle contemplating getting a new trailer from Ranger from time to time. Good luck.

3. eagle521
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    I am in the same boat as you and feel your pain and hate my trailer also. 2006 tandem trailer here, original owner, same issue with axle weld failures and replacement axles from Ranger as a good will gesture. Had issues with the oil bath hubs so switched all 4 out to Vortex grease hubs figured that would take care of that problem. I have had two Vortex hubs fail recently that were 4 years old and about 800 miles on them. Rear seals went which allowed grease to sling on the inside of wheels. Never stranded me thankfully like the oil bath failures did. I don't know what to tell you as I struggle contemplating getting a new trailer from Ranger from time to time. Good luck.

I got a price on a new trailer two years ago, $7800. I am sure it’s more now. Just like the price of the hubs went up. What’s to say that it’s going to be any better. Can’t afford it anyway. So I just keep throwing money at the problem because I love to fish in my own boat. eagle521

4. Member
    The best option without replacing the whole trailer would be to replace the axles with UFP axles with the Vault hubs and brakes. There have been very few failures with the Vault hubs. Ranger parts can price the conversion cost for your trailer.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

I''ve seen this happen to a few guys I know. The best guess at why is that the tightness on the spindle nut is too loose. The correct way is to tighten it down until it locks the wheel from moving, this 'sets' and aligns the bearings, loosen it until it's easy to move, tighten it down again, then back it off until it moves less than free, but will move. I use an Infrared Thermometer for the next trip and check the Hubs after 25 mi Max and again at the lake.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. eagle521
    I guess I forgot to mention, that two years ago I replaced all four with Vortex sealed hubs. Now two years later one has to be replaced. eagle521