21' triton trailer

Anyone ever seen this happen before? New hub the bearings are still good and tight, there was no warning at first vibration I pulled over to see that four of the five studs sheared off...I've never seen this before and still don't know why this happened...?unless the studs on the new hub they sold me wasn't rated for the weight of my boat?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Lug nuts were not torqued properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

^^^^THIS ^^^^^
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    As in to tight ?

5. Member
    Looks like too tight.

6. Member
    Nope ran with loose nuts.

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    An impact wrench will do that. Ask me how I know.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

^^^^ Most likely loose.

9. Member
    Well they were not loose I can say because I put them on there with a 4 way lug wrench. The whole while thinking surely can't get them to tight....but now am thinking you can!

You might want to invest in a torque wrench if don't already have one. I have two to cover everything I need. I use a torque wrench for the final torque on my truck and trailer wheels.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Were you on the way to the lake or headed home? Many years ago I was headed home from the lake and all of a sudden there was a severe vibration from the trailer. Before I could slow down and get off the road, the wheel came off and passed me. I got off to the side and out of harm's way, all of my studs were sheared off and looked like yours. Come to find out there had been reports of wheels being stolen off of trailers at the ramp I had just left. Seems like I scared the thieves off before they could finish the job, but they had loosened up my lugs on that side, the other side was fine. Replaced the hub and got a new wheel.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefro_ View Post
    Well they were not loose I can say because I put them on there with a 4 way lug wrench. The whole while thinking surely can't get them to tight....but now am thinking you can!
    Aluminum rims need to be retorqued after 50 miles or so. Especially the Left side. I have been putting wheels on for 60+ years and never seen a set of studs broken from overtightening with a simple 4 way.
    I can break them off with my 3/4" drive breaker bar and a cheater pipe, but a normal 4 way, I'll twist it into a pretzel first.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 08-21-2019 at 05:07 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Aluminum rims need to be retorqued after 50 miles or so. Especially the Left side. I have been putting wheels on for 60+ years and never seen a set of studs broken from overtightening with a simple 4 way.
    I can break them off with my 3/4" drive breaker bar and a cheater pipe, but a normal 4 way, I'll twist it into a pretzel first.
    Agree.....They were not properly torqued.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Were you on the way to the lake or headed home? Many years ago I was headed home from the lake and all of a sudden there was a severe vibration from the trailer. Before I could slow down and get off the road, the wheel came off and passed me. I got off to the side and out of harm's way, all of my studs were sheared off and looked like yours. Come to find out there had been reports of wheels being stolen off of trailers at the ramp I had just left. Seems like I scared the thieves off before they could finish the job, but they had loosened up my lugs on that side, the other side was fine. Replaced the hub and got a new wheel.
    I was on the way home, you know I never thought about that but it's a good possibility considering that area!

Are you sure about the lug nuts you are using with the new hub? Looking at your pic with wheel still attached the one lug nut still attached looks like the stud has broke through the cap of the nut? The other four all look like some sort of black goop where the lug nut should have seated? How new is the new hub?

16. Member
    Less than 500 miles new hub, you know I did notice that the new hub s lug bolts were a little shorter than the old one but didn't think nothing of it since the lug nuts got tight.
    Last edited by Jefro_; 08-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.

17. Member
    Hmmm there goes the ball game. Shorter studs....maybe not pressed all the way in, could have loosened as he drove.

18. Member
    Need to re-torque when you replace hubs or wheels. I did new hubs, wheels and lugs on my trailer. Torqued everything down with a TQ wrench like I have always done. Drove about 50 miles and they were ALL loose. Wheels were bowing out and wobbling when backing up at the ramp. Torqued again, after a hundred miles or so they had to be torqued again. 6 months later, no more loosening
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

19. Member
    I bought some more lugs from tractor supply and new lug nuts new bearing buddy , got everything back in order. I'll make sure to retighten ...thank you guys for the input