Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

richland county sc boat property taxes

i bought a 2019 zx250 a few months ago. someone told me that i will be getting a property tax bill for for around $3100.00 Surely that is not the case. Might be selling a boat

2. Member
    It will be high, maybe not $3100, but certainly well over $1000. Here is a calculator for the county I live in:

https://oconeesc.com/auditor-home/ta...ate-calculator

3. Member
    Normally if your county has a personal property tax on vehicles that includes boats. We have the same thing here in Arkansas. I did a quick search and found

Those who are South Carolina residents must pay personal property taxes on their vessels no matter how long the boat has a physical presence in the state. Tax Valuation: Boats are taxed on 10.5% of their assessed value – No, the tax is not 10.5% of the boat's value – only 10.5% of the boat's value is taxed. So your tax should be less than $3100.00. Best to call your revenue office since you probably have to assess before you can register it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    You can register it in SC. The county you live in will send you a tax bill once a year. Richland county might have a tax calculator on line - check your county assessor's website.

Is this a one time tax, or an annual property tax? Wow, that seems like a lot!

6. Member
    I guess it doesn't matter where you live, they get you on taxes one way or another. Where I live in VA, we don't pay any annual taxes on boats. But they give it to us hard on vehicles and real estate tax.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member

Smile

Dang Democrats��

8. Member
    Not sure how other counties are but La parishes
    now make you pay taxes on boat motor and trailer. You get 3
    titles now. Don’t understand how you title something that
    you cant drive on the road. Used to pay tax on trailer and
    send registration off for boat. Again another way to tax people.

9. Member
    It is an annual tax in SC. If you have a nice bass boat, you are going to pay over a $1000 each year in property tax on your boat. The link to the calculator I put in this thread will give you a good idea of what it will cost. Other SC counties will be a little higher or little lower based on their millage rate. I have a 2018 Skeeter FXLE. My taxes are about $1300 each year on it.

10. Member
    This is a double tax and should be a violation of our rights as tax paying citizens. We all paid sales tax when we bought our boats! Why each year do they think they have a right to collect more each year? The true answer is that they do not. It is subject to a court ruling of a double taxation...and should be abolished. I live in Georgia and they do the same darn thing...They use to do it here for RV's and cars and trucks too...somebody with a lot of influence and money got the "birthday tax" on street vehicles abolished but was unable to budge the boat tax...why...well I sure wish I knew...I am so tired of tax and more tax and more tax and seeing nothing in respect to where it goes...cause its wasted...every penny of my hard earned money is wasted by our government...simply sorrowful...no I am not a threat...so do not take me that way...just fed up!

11. Member
    Could not of said it any better

12. Member
    EDW, Well said. Freedom seems to cost an awful lot.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    I live in Spartanburg County and have a 2015 ZX225 . Property taxes on it are still app. $1500/yr . That amount includes tax on the motor .
    Check with your county's Auditor's Office to get a idea of estimated taxes but be sitting down when you ask .

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstate Gamecock View Post
    I live in Spartanburg County and have a 2015 ZX225 . Property taxes on it are still app. $1500/yr . That amount includes tax on the motor .
    Check with your county's Auditor's Office to get a idea of estimated taxes but be sitting down when you ask .
    Do they at least where the proper uniform if you stop by the county office.

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Legal robbery . High taxes for which we get nothing in return .

Make sure they are not charging you for the value of the boat and motor together. It's been a problem in some SC counties because the Skeeter ZXs are listed with a package price.

Over in Aiken I get separate bills for the motor and the boat. I know of a couple people who were charged based on package value on the price of the boat and motor together and then a separate bill on the motor only.

Also, you may have to pay even if you sell it. In Aiken County, we pay boat taxes in arrears, so even if I sell my boat this year, I still have to pay for it next year.

17. Member
    If you own it on December 31st, you pay for that year.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Make sure they are not charging you for the value of the boat and motor together. It's been a problem in some SC counties because the Skeeter ZXs are listed with a package price.

Over in Aiken I get separate bills for the motor and the boat. I know of a couple people who were charged based on package value on the price of the boat and motor together and then a separate bill on the motor only.

Also, you may have to pay even if you sell it. In Aiken County, we pay boat taxes in arrears, so even if I sell my boat this year, I still have to pay for it next year.
    Checked on billing the first year that I got tax bills . They have it taxed then as a package and separate bill for motor. They had it appraised at $20K what I paid for it. I get separate bill for both hull and motor since I got original appraisal corrected . Spartanburg County is one of the highest property tax counties in SC . Taxes in neighboring Laurens County are much less than Spartanburg .

19. Member
    Correction : The first bill was appraised at $20K MORE than original purchase price .

20. Member
    I f you have a family member in another state that doesn’t have the tax deal,Register it there and screw SC. “Or” it’s Time to move to Florida...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast