Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Grand River near Grand Haven, Michigan?

Anyone know how the fishing has been on the Grand River? Many years ago, I used to fish that area near Grand Haven. We always did quite well there, mainly fishing in the bayous. Thinking about taking the wife up there for 3-4 days in September. I've Googled fishing there and haven't come up with much.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    One of my favorite places to fish in Michigan for largemouth. In my opinion it is the best for frogging, flipping and punching. It's probably really good with the high water we have.

3. Member
    I fished it a lot in 2016 and 2017 mostly for pike, but got quite a few largemouth too.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. I think we will make the trip, just not certain when in September.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

The water is high. the grand haven launch has been under 6-12" of water all summer. That said, the fishing has been consistently good on the lower river all year. lots of other launches are open.

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    The water is high. the grand haven launch has been under 6-12" of water all summer. That said, the fishing has been consistently good on the lower river all year. lots of other launches are open.
    Are you talking about the launch under the highway bridge that's underwater? I hope to be able to launch up river from that. I'll be staying up river.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE

7. Member
    Odawa/Battle Boat Launch
    14414 Mercury Dr, Grand Haven, MI 49417
    https://goo.gl/maps/fMUNZMoswyUm7m5g9

This is the nicest launch by far for the upper bayous. The DNR launch on Lloyd’s Bayou isn’t bad, but it can get swamped with high water.

8. Member
    PikeTroller speaks the truth. You shouldn't have to use much gas to find quality fish from that launch. The most consistent action will probably be in the river. The bite changes often, so don't ignore anything obvious. Frogs, spinnerbaits, soft plastics. Tournaments have been taking anywhere from 13-16 pounds to win regularly with the occasional freak 19-20lb sack of largies. You may run across a random smallie, but green fish are the key around here. It has picked up immensely this year with the high water.