Recommend a blank..

Looking to build a cheapish flippin rod. I mostly flip 3/8 oz jigs and plastics. Prefer 7-6 and fast action, but nothing super heavy, as most of the bass here are under 4 lbs. It wont be used but a few times year. Anyone have any recommendations? Another option is I have an old daiwa lt flipping stick that could use a refurbish of new guides, handle, and seat. That rod is at least 15 - 20 years old, and wondering if I'm better off building a new technology rod.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    Since you already have the rod, I would rebuild it and if i didn't like it i would buy a new blank and build another one.

3. Member
    I do have the rod, and it was a decent rod for the time, but was tip heavy. Are modern flippin sticks still tip heavy with a 8 oz reel?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

4. Member
    I can't speak to that Josh, someone else will weigh in.

5. Member
    My personnel opinion is always go with a new blank. You never know what reworking an old blank might do to it. Once a rod has some age to it the chances for failure goes up, again personnel pinion.

6. Member
    I built a NMB873.5-MHX that would work out great for a flipping rod. A little shorter than you want but has a little more backbone.

7. Member
    Re-do it, or sell it to me . I've got an LT flip stick that I redid, use it all the time and I have like 40 rods I've built for myself. Great blank. I spiraled mine but if you do it on top just build it with like a size 8 double foot stripper, then a single foot 6 and then 5.5s out to the tip. All those double foot guides they used back then made them a little unbalanced. If you end up no liking it you're only out like $25 if you go with Alconites.

If you decide to build, Liberty FS764 is a good one for like $78, Rod Geeks B276HF is also alright for $79. If $106 is in your price range then a Hydra FL4 would be my first choice for a light flip stick.

8. Member
    I am ok going out to $200 including blank, seat, and grip material. I went ahead and stripped the blank and cut off the old decaying cork handle on the rear and fore grip. I made up a split grip with a piece of cork and Winn fighting butt I had laying around. I also trimmed 2.5 inches off the butt as I like a shorter handle. I ordered a set of micro guides to try and keep the weight away from the top of the rod. I do feel like I'm losing some sensitivity with a telescoping handle and the non exposed reel seat, but it may not be an issue with braid. I will say removing those huge guides did make it noticeable lighter. It is ugly where I had to scrape off all the old epoxy and thread coat, but for a cheap flipping rod, I'm not overly worried.

free image hosting
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

9. Member
    I have a 7'10" blank I will sell you for $40. Let me get you the specs when I get home.

Allen

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I have a 7'10" blank I will sell you for $40. Let me get you the specs when I get home.

Allen
    Let me know, it could work
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

11. Member
    I’ll second the liberty 764
    Nitro z21

12. Member
    There's a few older rods that I've redone that had gloss blanks...the spots where I took off the old guides were a little discolored and what I've done is take a scotch brite pad and just work the whole blank, you can kind of even it out and give it a matte-ish finish. You can do the same with finishing sandpaper.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    Let me know, it could work
    It is a Rainshadow MB944 RX7 7-10, 3/8 to 1 1/2 line rating. I planned on making a flippin stick out of it but I just do not like rods over 7-3.

Allen

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    It is a Rainshadow MB944 RX7 7-10, 3/8 to 1 1/2 line rating. I planned on making a flippin stick out of it but I just do not like rods over 7-3.

Allen
    I'll take it. I'll figure out a use for it, even if i cut it down a bit
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet