Alternator smoking

2014 mercury four stroke sn 2B077716.

Had the boat boat out fishing and engine would not turn over (dead battery) put boat on
    trailer and connected on board charger. Charger indicated an error as battery not detected.
    Moved charger leads over from other bank and error followed. Installed new battery and
    here is where the issue began. Walked away from the boat for a few and when I got back
    smoke was coming out of the cowling. Turned battery switch off and removed cowling, the
    alternator was super hot. Checked all the connections to ensure they was correct and they where.
    Turned on battery switch to see what was going on and sure enough the alternator started getting
    hot.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I disconnected the lead to the alternator and turned
    on battery switch and it no longer heats up.

The new battery was almost completely drained with in a few minutes. It was down to 30%
    according to the charger.

Right now now looking at getting the alternator rebuilt at a local shop. Just want to be sure prior
    to installing and potentially frying another alternator.

Thanks in advance.

Is this a Mercury 150 4/S

3. Member
    Yes sorry. 150 4/S

I have the same issue this may be a concern with this model engine and whoever the supplier to Mercury was for these alternators hard to say I have read a few instances on this site of alternator problems . My motor is seven years old so don't know if these are isolated problems or widespread. I know they are expensive to replace but they are not like or built the same as car alternators at 5500 rpm this thing is spinning at 16.5K so take that into consideration when making your rebuild or replace decision.

Also if you launch the Mercury parts catalog and look up the part# for a replacement it has a superseded number hopefully the new model is of better quality.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

6. Member
    I seen there was a superseded part number. At this point, I think it’s better to fry a rebuilt
    one verses a new $300 one. Seems to be a lot of 150 alternator issues out there.

I just talked with Mercury customer service and they said there was not a service bulletin out on that alternator for the 150-4S.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    I know they are expensive to replace but they are not like or built the same as car alternators at 5500 rpm this thing is spinning at 16.5K so take that into consideration when making your rebuild or replace decision.
    They are built the same as a car one. The issue most people see is they buy a "new aftermarket" (china) compared to the OEM.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    They are built the same as a car one. The issue most people see is they buy a "new aftermarket" (china) compared to the OEM.
    Marine Alternator Features

Marine Alternators In order to meet these demands, alternators built for marine use have features not found in automotive-grade units:
    Spark screens that meet U.S. Coast Guard standards to eliminate the alternator as an ignition source
    Double-insulation to eliminate electrical shock in wet conditions and prevent sparks
    Dual fans and large heat sinks for self-cooling under high, continuous loads
    Stainless steel bearings, corrosion-resistant metals and heavy-duty coatings
    High output at low RPMs to match marine diesel engine operating conditions
    Battery sensing regulators for high-efficiency battery charging and detection of battery cell failure

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    They are built the same as a car one...
    False statement, unfortunately. The "Car One" isn't built or intended to spin at 15,000 RPM's for extended periods of time.

I would strongly recommend sticking with the OEM (Mercury) Replacement unit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Had the same issue. 2013 150 4S.

Had as a local,shop quote me to rebuild it, but when he was sourcing parts his supplier had a new one exact P/N available. $150 and had it the same day.

Always worth checking with local shops and seeing what they can do, often times cheaper than buying online.

if you are getting quotes for rebuilding it, or having it rebuilt, make sure they know it is a marine alternator and the shop does marine alternators.

12. Member
    I dropped it off at the shop for rebuild yesterday. Guy wasn’t sure if he could do it or not
    but they are familiar with marine parts. I live on the Florida gulf coast so marine repairs are common.

Should hear something today. Buying a new one isn’t an issue, just rather fry a rebuilt one
    instead, in case the problem originated elsewhere.

13. Member
    Just to update. Alternator shop could not repair the old one. Claimed they could not find
    parts. Ordered new one, installed and op check good.

Thanks for for all the help