Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(4x) kid friendly bass boats

Hi everyone

Wanted to ask your opinion... Am not far from entering the market for a used bass boat, and am trying to settle on a style so I can narrow my search to a few models. Bear in mind my budget is not high (<$10K; thanks Toronto area mortgages!) so am not opposed to looking at older boats - nothing against an 80's era boat that safely and reliably gets me to my fishing spots. Sure as hell beats the canoe whose oars my buddy and I have been pulling for the past 13 years.

As I primarily go fishing with a buddy, and both his and my kids are close to being old enough to ride in a boat with us, my primary criteria are the following:
    - plenty of casting space, fore and aft
    - space for 2 adults and up to 4 kids

What bass boats meet this, or is there a way to set up "regular" bass boats to do this?
    I know about the ranger reata (which is awesome) but unlikely to find one on my budget. What other bass boats (make+model) could do this?
    Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by LuS; 08-18-2019 at 10:57 PM.

There are 6 of us and we fished from a 92 Ranger 392 for many many years with no problems. You aren't all going to be throwing topwater baits at the same time but you can make the fishing work for you. I suggest looking for a 391 or a 491. These will be a single console and provide even more room to move around and fish. I think a Stratos 201 from that era would fit the bill nicely too and fall within your price range.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    There will be lot of opinions on this. If you are going to be having 4 casters,you're definitely going to need some deck space. It would help to know just how serious of bass fishing you are all wanting to do. Do you really have to have a traditional fiberglass "bass boat"? If so, every brand makes a 20+ footer that has a good sized deck. I'd recommend going to dealership and looking at some to help yourself think this out. That doesn't mean you have to buy one off the floor as that isn't in the budget. But an older model of that same brand will likely be very similar then you can go from there.
    Again, it would help to know what type of fishing you want. It's possible you may be much happier with a big pontoon with the bimini removed and a trolling motor installed. But if you are wanting to have the option to fish tournaments and have livewells etc, you want to go the true bass boat route.
    I own a bass boat with a 20 ft 4 inch hull. Even with a premium model like mine, I highly prefer it just be me and a partner. I make an exception for 3 people if my or my buddy's kid comes along.
    It may sound outside the box, but depending on what type of fishing you're doing, an aluminum walleye type boat or pontoon may want to be considered.

check out the Nitro 911cdc. Seats four across and plenty of space.
    2004 Triton TR21, 225 proxs

5. Member
    Yes an older nitro z8 are z9 has a lot of deck space and can be found reasonable price

6. Member
    Thank you all for the opinions! Will be checking out those models... as for pontoons/deep v boats... have spent my fair share of time in them with enough others in at same time and they are very versatile platforms; I have to keep those as options, especially the deep v hull boats.

7. Member
    Vote for a Deep V with decks front and rear. I have taken kids out fishing and the little ones stay in the deep part, older and adults get the decks. When they all get older maybe change out for more deck.

8. Member
    My vote is to never have more than three people casting in a boat...mainly for safety reasons. Most bass boats have a limit of four people and a certain weight....for good reason. That being said, look for one that has the biggest front deck combined with an outboard (150 hp +) that can push a boat with that much weight on it

9. Member
    Look at a Triton Allure...

Remember gentleman, he has a budget and its going to limit his choices.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    I've never seen a bass boat rated for 6 people, Ranger and a few others make boats rated for 5. Might be better off with a multi-species boat with that many kids.

12. Member
    For that many people just get deep v, like lund pro v or something if new. If old look at some the Lunds mr pike or Crestliner fishhawks.

13. Member
    If you're looking to put that many people in a boat I would really look into center console boats.

14. Member
    6 people in a bass boat, which includes kids.... Good luck my man. Check out the Lund Pro V Bass 2078 XS version... Even that probably doesn't seat enough but has a TON of open space to move around. Def are not getting it done in a bass boat, multi species with the jump seats and open layout are your best option. I have a 3 yr old and twins on the way, next boat will be a Pro V Bass XS.

15. Member
    What the last couple guys have said. You don’t want a bass boat. Get a multi species boat.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

16. Member
    You know what would be awsome is a pontoon boat! My two grandsons and I sat on a few at BPS. LOTS of room for fishing! My oldest Grandson said"Look Papa this one has plenty of couches for you to take a nap".

17. Member
    Lol at space for naps! God knows we all could use one but not sure i could give up too much on water time for it.
    Short of a miracle on a reata or one of the larger older boats with additional seating it’s probably going to have to be a deep V to be able to take the kids out. We shall see how this plays out. Now, mortgage free me would think the solution to be two boats LOL but there is still a few years between now and then. Thank you all for the advice!

18. Member
    multi species might work better?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    I don’t really have anything to add that hasn’t been mentioned above. Being said I think a deeper v might be a good option. If you stick with a bass boat style a 300 series Ranger would be a good boat. Most importantly, kudos to you for wanting to get your kids on the water. I hope you find exactly what you’re looking for.

20. Member
    My suggestion would be to alternate kids and take two on one trip and the other two on a different trip. I don't know your situation but this may be a cheap way to let everyone fish.
    rd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast