Thread: Bent Shaft

Bent Shaft

K guys, trying to be a good guy the other day I was towing a broke boat to the ramp and the rope slacked and ended up in my prop killin my motor, no big, stuff happens. Pulled them the last mile or so on the TM. I put my trailer in a little deeper than normal, big motor still dead, full speed ahead on TM major cross wind and with pull rope in hand WHAM, hit the trailer hard and bent the shaft maybe an inch or so in the stowed position from where is should be that doesn't bug me so much but what happens now is that with the power on half or more I hit the switch and motor swings HARD to the left , at full power I cant physically stop it and no way can I bring it back under power. If I let off power or less that half power the pedal and motor moves freely but stiffer than before .. any and all opinions and suggestion are greatly appreciated... 03 MG TOUR 82 lb, Im a DIY guy

2. Member
    Best to replace shaft. I've tried to straighten them and can get them straighter, but not straight. Suggest changing bearings while broke apart. We have parts you'll need. Call us at 870-773-3474
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    K guys, trying to be a good guy the other day I was towing a broke boat to the ramp and the rope slacked and ended up in my prop killin my motor, no big, stuff happens. Pulled them the last mile or so on the TM. I put my trailer in a little deeper than normal, big motor still dead, full speed ahead on TM major cross wind and with pull rope in hand WHAM, hit the trailer hard and bent the shaft maybe an inch or so in the stowed position from where is should be that doesn't bug me so much but what happens now is that with the power on half or more I hit the switch and motor swings HARD to the left , at full power I cant physically stop it and no way can I bring it back under power. If I let off power or less that half power the pedal and motor moves freely but stiffer than before .. any and all opinions and suggestion are greatly appreciated... 03 MG TOUR 82 lb, Im a DIY guy
    Even good intentions can be punished. It definitely happened to you.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Best to replace shaft. I've tried to straighten them and can get them straighter, but not straight. Suggest changing bearings while broke apart. We have parts you'll need. Call us at 870-773-3474
    John
    Mr Jones, do you think the bent shaft has something to do with the motor rotating so hard to the left ???

5. Member
    Mr Jones, do you think the bent shaft has something to do with the motor rotating so hard to the left ???
    I really like this guy.

6. Member
    Yes that will cause the motor to become hard to steer in one direction or the other.
    Since it is an 03 tour I bet the pinion gear in the head is pop rivet in. I recommend that since you are changing the shaft then upgrade to a 45" with threads on both ends and replace the pop rivet pinion to a screwed on pinion. Also recommend that as John said replace upper and lower bearings because there is a good chance they will fall apart after you put them back in.
    John should be able to set you in the right direction.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I really like this guy.
    Thanks BN1 and Ive always enjoyed your input too...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Yes that will cause the motor to become hard to steer in one direction or the other.
    Since it is an 03 tour I bet the pinion gear in the head is pop rivet in. I recommend that since you are changing the shaft then upgrade to a 45" with threads on both ends and replace the pop rivet pinion to a screwed on pinion. Also recommend that as John said replace upper and lower bearings because there is a good chance they will fall apart after you put them back in.
    John should be able to set you in the right direction.
    And Brad thanks to you and Mr Jones also for your input.. I will follow your suggestions

9. Member
    I couldn't help myself. The subject of bent shafts (Not you, Slick Willy) has come up many times. I also have had a slightly bent trolling motor shaft and it made steering very difficult at high power. It doesn't take much.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=slick%20willy

10. Member
    Yes, the bent shaft will cause excess torque and wind up breaking steering cables. The replacement shafts use the upgraded pinions that Brad mentioned. The pop riveted versions get sloppy as the rivets wear.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]