Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I tried the pads on my trailer,same boat but with all the pads installed my boat would slide back 3 to 4 feet back into the water. I had to give it throttle to keep it in place as I got out and hooked up the strap. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the throttle engaged while I left the seat so I removed all but 2 of the pads and now it doesn't slide back. Steep ramps with all the pads on was real hard to keep from sliding off. Don't know if you had that problem with yours.

2 bunk trailers just seem to be troublesome in general. My tracker was a nightmare i hated loading up. Although my cousins rt188 seems to always line up pretty good but he pulls the trailer pretty far out of the water and has to goose it pretty good to slide. On my tracker i added 2 center bunks on the front half of the trailer to catch the keel. Centers perfect every time. Even with the trailer backed all the way in. Those pads are very slick and im sure they help alot. The only thing i do not like about them (this is solely my opinion on it) is that you have now introduced many corners and pressure points on the hull bottom which on aluminum could possibly dent. Thats just my take on it maybe thats not even the case. I would think something full length would be better but could be wrong.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Phalin View Post
    I tried the pads on my trailer,same boat but with all the pads installed my boat would slide back 3 to 4 feet back into the water.
    That is possible on a steep ramp. I have left the engine engaged a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Has been a challenge for me, too. A while back, someone installed a couple of small bunks inside of the factory bunks to guide the hull to center. I've found the most consistent method is to have the bunks about an inch out. Can bring the boat up within 6" and hand crank the rest. On ramps that aren't level, I've hooked up the winch, turn the wheel, and applied power toward the high side to settle the strake that's sitting on the runner.
    This is what I do as well. Wet the bunks, then I get it on straight and bring it up close to the winch, then crank the rest of the way. Works every time.

I wonder sometimes if the force of hitting the bow of the boat with the big motor running and forcing the boat up to the winch has caused some of the aluminum cracks in the bow area. With the front points of the bunks hitting the same place time after time after time that it might cause a problem with the internal cross member weld. That's a pretty good bit of force. I get it started nice and easy and then winch it the rest of the way. You are going to check it and tighten it anyway so the time is within a minute or so and I think it's less beating and punishment on the boat hull hitting the exact same place time and again.

Also if you want some slicker bunks, buy some silicone spray and spray them once in a while before you dumk the trailer. One good spray on the carpet lasts several loadings.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member
    bto could you post pictures of your 4 bunk set up . I am getting a rt178 shortly and was wanting to add 2 more bunks for centering .

6. Member
    I really struggled early loading my Triton 18TX. I put Caliber bunk material on and also cut 2x4 blocks and installed them on the front braces under the original bunk board to raise it up. The Caliber material allows the boat to slide easier and the extra height catches the front of the boat quicker to help in centering it. I back in and wet the bunks good, then depending on the ramp angle, pull up to where I think I need to be. Loads a lot easier now!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    Same issue here.
    I have it down pretty good on my boat.. Back the trailer in to wet the bunks, Pull it out until the top of the fenders are just out of the water.. Jump in my boat and sit in the middle seat while I put it on the trailer so it loads straight, tilt motor up some and power up the trailer... don't crash into the winch tower. Crank it up the rest of the way.

When we bought ours used the guy we bought it from told us to load it exactly like this!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    bto could you post pictures of your 4 bunk set up . I am getting a rt178 shortly and was wanting to add 2 more bunks for centering .
    This thread has all the info and pics on them. Hope this helps.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=411994
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Banned
    Thanks guys. I'll give some of the ideas a try. Four bunks should have been factory I think.

Thanks once again.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12