Mercmonitor ignition coil alarm 2010 Mercury Optimax Pro Xs 200

Serial Number: 1B809142

2010 Mercury Optimax Pro Xs 200

Spent a good amount of time idling around looking for fish today. Around noon I noticed the motor was idling weird and sounding like it was missing a fire sometimes. My mercmonitor was showing this dip in rpm. Finally got an alarm on the mercmonitor. When I first open alarm it say STBD <ignition> and I clicked more and it showed STBD <ignition coil is not working properly>. Was able to get up on plane and make a short run back to landing and headed home.

Performed a visual test to look at spark from each coil. Every coil produced spark. I don't know if the coil cooled down and started functioning again or what. (2-3 hours after leaving lake.)

I need help troubleshooting which coil is bad, and or if it may be something else too.
    Last edited by 06triton; 08-19-2019 at 06:47 AM.

2. Member
    Update: I bought an in line spark tester and tested motor on earmuffs this afternoon. Everything checks fine but I still have an irregular idle. Checked fuel and air pressure. Fuel pressure 92 air pressure 82. I have a new set of plugs coming in tomorrow and 1 coil. My plan is to replace all plugs and go from there.

3. Member
    I would test spark with a timing light as the problem is occurring.

4. Member
    I received my spark plugs today and 4 out of the 6 were smashed in on the electrode. So wasn't able to test with new plugs. Also haven't found a timing light I could borrow yet, may have to buy a cheap one.
    Decided I wanted to check compression since I haven't checked it since I rebuilt the motor. 1: 115 2: 110 3:120 4:115 5:115 6:110 Found my map sensor to be loose (orange rubber boot is worn in the spot its been seated in the intake) and had oil over it. Removed and cleaned it and reinstalled. Slight stumble while idling but still haven't been able to recreate what was happening on the lake.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ryan... you likely have an ignition coil that is failing intermittently. Really need to check spark when the engine is HOT, on the water. Timing light, clipped to each plug wire, one at a time is a good method.

Throw those plugs away... if the gap is closed, they have been compromised (likely dropped or slammed, almost always resulting in fractures).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yea I returned the plugs, bought them on amazon. I have a new set coming from a local shop and will have to get a timing light so I can test on the water. Main thing is I need to make it happen again so the timing light will show which coil is going out. Thanks!