Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    If your inquiry is for the "best" battery you have to compare performance specifications & warranty.

This is the benchmark AGM battery for marine use.
    (The X2 is comparable) It's a group 31 and exceeds Mercury Marine starting battery specifications, and has more CCA's than the big box store battery offerings. I get 5-7 years out of my four batteries. Not cheap.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If your inquiry is for the "best" battery you have to compare performance specifications & warranty.

This is the benchmark AGM battery for marine use.
    (The X2 is comparable) It's a group 31 and exceeds Mercury Marine starting battery specifications, and has more CCA's than the big box store battery offerings. I get 5-7 years out of my four batteries. Not cheap.
    Mike, what's the main thing you use to tell you a battery is shot and needs replaced? What's your cut-off in other words when you decide to get new?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. mikesxpress
    Kevin the only way to tell the actual condition of a battery is with a carbon pile load test. I have one of my own but for most folks it's an expensive piece of gear they can't justify. The Batteries + Bulbs stores and many auto parts stores have these and will test your battery for free. I check all my batteries 2-3 times a year and record the readings in my service log. My PowerPulse unit tells me the what the fully charged battery CCA and reserve is and that determines when I replace all 4 of them.

I have a 250 amp load tester. If a battery cannot maintain 12 volts for 10 seconds under 250 amp draw it is bad. Load testing is the best indicator. However any battery that cannot maintain 12.6 volts static for a week after fully charging is also a good indicator a battery is going out. These are the most reasonable tests that the average battery user can afford and apply themselves.

5. Member
    Like Mike & Skeeterbait said a load tester will tell you if it’s bad. I also use this tester in addition to the load tester. It has proven very accurate and will tell you how many Cold Cranking Amps your battery still has. It will also test voltage, internal resistance and overall condition. When I start seeing a drop off in CCAs, I know to keep a really close eye that particular battery.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...zer-66892.html
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

6. Member
    I just replaced a 9 year old Blue top Optima that was working fine.
    I just have trust issues I guess. 🙂

7. Member
    I have the cheap $5 Battery/Alternator tester from Harbor Freight. How reliable is this tool for testing batteries?

I am guessing you are talking about a pocket voltmeter. You cannot prove a battery good or bad with that. You can tell the state of charge. If it is low it could be bad or it could be discharged. If it actually gives a volt reading and it is under 11 volts the battery is likely damaged could have an open cell, but it might charge back up too. You could read 12.5 volts and think the battery is good, but put a couple hundred amp draw on the battery and it might hold 12 volts or it might drop to single digit volts which would indicate a bad battery. So that is why a load tester is necessary to prove a battery good or bad.

9. Member
    Curtis Instruments has a Acuity product that is awesome. It measures and tracks/stores charge and discharge data. It gives you an accurate data set of the capacity of the battery and if the same amount of current can be pumped back into the battery when charging, essentially a battery start of health.

Howland Technogolies sells them

Few talk about Rolls/Surette batteries but they might be the best lead acid batteries made with 3 yr warranty. They are made in Canada and are called Surette there and batteries sold in US are called Rollls.

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I bought a super start agm 34m weighs 40 lbs and I can not kill it 2 10 inch ,livewells ,phone charger it’s been very impressive and it’s small and light and packs a BIG punch a lot more than the group 31s I had.I added 2 for my trolling battery and will go days and only take a few hours to recharge.My starting motor is a 225 opti and turns over faster than ever before.

Touch Of Class is that battery from O'Reilly Auto Parts?

13. Member
    Boatinpete, that group 34 Super Start is rebadged for O'Reilly by Deka/East Penn. It has a meager 120 minutes of Reserve Capacity which is why it is so light. I would not expect a very long life cycle from a battery like that. RC should be up closer to 200 minutes for a bass boat.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12