03 Yamaha 175 HPDI hard to start when hot

I have a 03 175 HPDI that starts fine first thing in the morning (70 degrees). Then gets gradually harder to start threw out the day(90 degrees) Only way it will start when hot is to open the throttle a little while cranking. After it starts I’m seeing more oil smoke than usual. It use to start just by turning the key for a few seconds with very little smoke.. I’m thinking maybe low pressure fuel pumps. I completely serviced engine back in March. (New plugs, fuel filters (spin on, vst filter, cartridge filter and metal inline filter) What’s y’alls thoughts.

2. Member
    Have you checked your battery connections and or battery condition? Do you idle around some before you fish? What are your idle rpms after it warms up? Not a mechanic but have had similar problems.
    Nick McDaniel

3. Member
    Do you have carbon fiber reeds? I had a similar problem, started fine when cold then got harder and harder to start after running. After changing both low pressure pumps, all spark plugs, and all filters with no improvement I finally found several broken reeds. I replaced them myself and it solved the problem. It’s not too bad of a job, just takes a little time. Hope this helps.

4. Member
    Thank you for your help. Battery connections are good. I’ll post idle rpms tomorrow. Ive never messed with reed valves b4 but I’ll definitely check them out.

5. Member
    I pulled reed valve plate out and can see light through 2 of the 6 reed valve sets. What’s my best option just replace the reeds or buy the whole assembly???

6. Member
    Change the Low pressure fuel pumps, my 225 did the same thing
    Last edited by BttrBn; 09-28-2019 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tech337 View Post
    I pulled reed valve plate out and can see light through 2 of the 6 reed valve sets. What’s my best option just replace the reeds or buy the whole assembly???
    I just changed the reeds. You will need a manual to get the torque specs for reassembly. As others have mentioned it’s worth checking the low pressure pumps as well.