When should you Fizz ????

I understand how and that it should be done as soon after the catch as possible. Have the tool for it, but what depth requires you to do fizzing ??? I guess even shallow fish that just came out of deeper water requires it, or do you just watch them in the livewell and see if the fish swim upright????

Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    I understand how and that it should be done as soon after the catch as possible. Have the tool for it, but what depth requires you to do fizzing ??? I guess even shallow fish that just came out of deeper water requires it, or do you just watch them in the livewell and see if the fish swim upright????
    This is what I do, though I've found that unless I've caught a fish really deep for the areas I fish, say over 25 feet or so, they will almost always be able to right themselves given an hour or so with fin clips. That's saved me from having to poke a BUNCH of fish caught from 15-25 that wanted to roll over otherwise.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I fizz every time my bladder is feeling full! Sorry, had to do it...I fish C&R, so no fizzing. Sort of like the BFL, but without the cameraman on the back deck.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    Bass is told over 12 ft..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    Never had to fizz one from less than 20 foot.

I saw a video of a guy that instead of fizzing the fish he uses a weight on a heavy line pushed down past the gullet to help get the fish back down to the dept the fish was originally at. Once the fish is swimming and fighting back against the line the angler would simply give a tug or two to release the fish. To harm to the fish.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 08-19-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

7. Member
    The only time it's necessary for me is about 35' + when I'm fishing a tournament on the Great Lakes. If you catch them that deep and release them immediately they will swim away.

When I'm fun fishing and box them for pictures/ don't want them to tell there buddies theory, I use the method that Delta described. I will put heavy slip sinker on a spinning reel, put the weight in there mouth and lower them in slowly with the spool open. They will swim right down and spit the weight out. I can see down 35' and watch them swim away, it sounds funny but it really works well and you don't have to poke them.

If I'm fishing a tournament, I keep a close eye on them. It doesn't take long at all for them to show signs of the bends and I'll fizz them so they are comfortable and happy in the livewell

I fish Erie and St Clair 90% of the time and anytime I put a SM in the livewell, I check it 10 minutes later MAX. I'm finding that I'm fizzing everything 12+ feet. I'm surprised how often I have to do it especially being that these fish arent coming from "deep" water.

CPR. Catch, photograph and release! I never have an issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,