Thread: Boat Rewire

Boat Rewire

I posted more of this in the Boat Restoration section, but figured this was the Electrical section so here is what I did. My boat wiring in the bilge was horrible (bought the boat 2 years ago). So I had to do something about it.

Before:

Look at all the extra trolling motor wires!

After:

Took all the pump wires...

...and ran them into a box I mounted in the back to get them out of the lower bilge area.

Added cut-off switch and circuit breakers:

Last edited by bqtoot; 08-18-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add more pics

2. Member
    Very nice work,looks professional.

Nice job! You had a serious mess on your hands.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Neat job. Probably safer now too.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Sorry, you can't be in my club. Too neat.

6. Member
    Great job nice & neat.

7. Member
    Thanks guys. Yeah I had been worried about safety since I bought the boat. Once I started having issues I knew it was time to do something about it. Gonna hate to see it get dirty after that paint job!

8. Member
    All Bullshoot aside, that is very nicely laid out, I'm jealous.

Good job !! What did you use to clean the bilge with ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

That looks great, it's a crying shame with the price of boats that the manufactures don't do a better job. I'm wanting to straighten my wiring out but I need to figure out how build a plate to mount in boat to mount my terminals to.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

11. Member
    100% agree ^^^. One of my biggest frustrations is they dont even used tinned wire from the factory!!!

12. Member
    I tried several cleaning products, but ended up just using Dawn dish soap, and for the tough spots Awesome from the dollar store! Once cleaned, I used Bilgekote from Interlux to paint. A 1 quart can did the whole bilge and didn't need a second coat. It should be called super sticky stuff cause it goes on thick! I agree with many about the way the factory puts these boats together. But I guess it's just business and to save them $$$ they sometimes don't do what's really needed.

dk239: I went round and round with that too! In the end I just ran all wiring in wire looms which has enough stiffness to be able to hold in place with zip ties.

13. Member
    Helluva job bqtoot....looks amazing how that fresh coat of sticky stuff lightened up the whole area. Commendable job & results.

14. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Even better if do a reroute of an electrical conductor positioned directly atop and touching cell caps venting corrosive gasses.

15. Member
    Get job, bgtoot! I am facing this very issue with my 1991 Ranger 361. Like you I want to do it right so I'm studying everything I can find on the subject. Your post is much appreciated! Great pictures that gives me a lot of ideas.
    I am 3rd owner of this boat and a lot of stuff has been changed and monkeyed with over the years by the other 2 owners. There's no way much of what I see was done by Ranger.
    I have a Blue Sea 12 circuit block on the way and am buying up all the other stuff and tools I will need. Kind of a nightmare, I think.
    My biggest problem is feeding all the new wire I will need "under the gunnel" from back-to-front.....or vice versa.......It's tight now with old, obsolete wiring.
    Gonna take it slow and make sure it's done right.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
    Get job, bgtoot! I am facing this very issue with my 1991 Ranger 361. Like you I want to do it right so I'm studying everything I can find on the subject. Your post is much appreciated! Great pictures that gives me a lot of ideas.
    I am 3rd owner of this boat and a lot of stuff has been changed and monkeyed with over the years by the other 2 owners. There's no way much of what I see was done by Ranger.
    I have a Blue Sea 12 circuit block on the way and am buying up all the other stuff and tools I will need. Kind of a nightmare, I think.
    My biggest problem is feeding all the new wire I will need "under the gunnel" from back-to-front.....or vice versa.......It's tight now with old, obsolete wiring.
    Gonna take it slow and make sure it's done right.
    I collected parts for 3-4 months before I even started. The Mrs. thought I was crazy!

17. Member
    Awesome job, do u have source, part numbers for the wiring blocks you installed?

Tks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM View Post
    Awesome job, do u have source, part numbers for the wiring blocks you installed?

Tks
    BAM - Here are the main parts I used which you can find online from various sources. There are a whole bunch of other parts and pieces (fuses, circuit breakers) etc. that you need to consider also for your application. I suggest shopping around since prices will vary.

Blue Sea 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block
    Blue Sea Safety Hub 150
    Blue Sea 6006 Battery Cut-Off Switch

Hope this helps.

19. Member
    Thanks bgtoot!

You sir have some talent. great job !