Hook sharpening, best method ?

I need to touch up the hooks on a couple of my Jackhammers. What do you find to be the best method for sharpening these as well as jigs and spinner baits? File,sharpening stone or a purpose built tool ?

2. Member
    I've got a tool about 6" long that has a flat surface on one side and a semi-circular opposite side. The rounded part has a groove longitudinally down it for dragging the pointed end of the hook; and the whole thing has diamond flakes embedded in it. Works great on hooks and for knives. Don't know the brand, FIL gave it to me about 25 years ago. Maybe try Google. The tool part slides into an aluminum sleeve for protection.

This is something that took me a while to learn that it's almost always the Indian and not the arrow. I finally broke down and had my dad show me when we were steelhead fishing. I dropped a hook file that I had been able to use with moderate success into the stream and simply could not get a hook into a fish unless it was brand new, and that only lasted a couple dozen drifts banging off rocks. He proceeded to put a better point back on a hook with a rock on the side of the stream than I could with a file.

The key is consistent angle, and it almost always takes way, way less than you think it will. In my experience, gripping the bend of the hook with needle nose is the best way to get a consistent angle on it, and two drags across your sharpener of choice will often get a hook back into shape unless it's really screwed up. (If it easily grabs onto or scratches your thumbnail, it's about as good as you can get it with a file, and trying any more is just wasted effort). You also almost never have to file anywhere except the side opposite the barb - it's only on really messed up or really cheap hooks have I ever had to go at them from more than just that one angle and even at that it's usually a lost cause. Trying to file on all sides usually ruins it as you mess up the angle ever so slightly and knock off the point you just made.

That said, the ones I use now are a Rapala retractable model, mostly because it came with a lanyard that means it stays in its spot on my boat's throttle where I can quickly find it and not lose it, and a Smith's diamond retractable sharpener that goes into my to-go bag and into my pack when I'm wade fishing, mostly because it's extremely compact. These are also both quite cheap which is a plus.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Have used a bunch of different stones, diamond sharpeners, hook file and prefer the file...it's quick. A couple strokes along each side and across the top (Trokar-like) and done.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    Thanks,I'll get the file type.

6. BBC SPONSOR

7. Member
    Until I retired this March, I worked in a bearing factory. I carried home a lot of scrap honing stones in fine pitches. These work great for me. I have used both the above shown in tackle warehouse. Both work but the one by limit5bass worked best for me.