HDS 9 Carbons NMEA 2000 connection

I have HDS 9 Carbons on bow & console. I have selected "network sonar" on both units. The network cable is installed by the dealer. The power connection & fuse seems to be good. Neither unit will see the other unit. I have restarted both units. Any ideas?

2. Member
    You need to be sure what type of network you are talking about. Ethernet is a grey cable with orange connectors. NMEA is a thinner cable with black or red connectors. Network sonar is only related to Ethernet and does not function over NMEA 2000. If you truly have NMEA, go to Pages, Network, Data Sources. You should be able to see both units on the network. Also remember, Sonar cannot be shared over NMEA. NMEA is only good for sharing waypoints and data from other NMEA devices (like a Point 1) over the network.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Yeah I misunderstood...I do have NMEA 2000 with the black connectors. I thought the sonar sharing was done over NMEA 2000. I still don't think I can see the other unit on the data sources page for the NMEA 2000 network though. I'll have to get a network cable for sharing the sonar now. Thanks.

4. Member
    NMEA2000 requires more than just a cable..... it requires a network backbone comprised of T pieces and a connection to power. It is not a device-to-device single cable connection like ethernet.

5. Member
    Yeah all the connectors, terminating resistors, and power are present on the NMEA 2000 network. I've already verified that the power to the cable is good and the in line fuse is good. I did order an ethernet cable though that hopefully will be here friday.