American Racing ATX Wheel Nightmare

Took my trailer in for new tires today, 5 hours later 2 of my wheels are damaged and they don't want to attempt the other two because of the cosmetic plastic bolts that go around the rim. They broke 3 on the first wheel and there are 3 loose on the second wheel. Does anyone know how to remove these without breaking them and more importantly, can they can be fixed?

They said they will take care of damage, but it's on me now to figure out where to get them fixed. They also stripped out a couple studs and nobody had the right size on a Sunday, so drove home with the wrong size. They said they all need replaced and that is on me. Can you cross thread them by taking them off? What a nightmare.
    wheels.jpg

2. Banned
    Just remove them all...looks decent that way....it’s what I did as a bunch of mine just broke off

3. Member
    There has to be a better answer than break them all off. Second part of my question was regarding the wheel studs. Can you strip or cross thread them by removing? Guess I'm questioning how they can remove them, but say they can't be put back on due to the threads.

1. I would contact american racing about replacement nuts for the wheels.

2. Stripped studs happen but it was rare. The store where I worked for a short time wouldn't replace them as they only did tires they had no certified mechanics and no way to pull a hub and replace studs.

3. I would question the ability of the tire store too.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

5. Member
    Yeah, I did question the kid working on it. I watched him put the lugs on with a socket and barely twist them before picking up the impact gun. I asked if he could turn those in by hand and he said that's how he was trained, so pretty sure the first wheel has cross threaded lugs as well. As uncomfortable as it was I asked that they have someone more experienced work on it since he struggled to do anything without calling someone for direction. The service manager said I wasn't wrong for being concerned, but it was a job he couldn't screw up and that he would watch over him, so I walked over to get a bite to eat. 15 minutes later I get a call that we had two issues to discuss. It's a national chain (NTB) so figured they would have more qualified technicians.

Does anyone know the proper procedure with these rims? Should I just assume anytime I need tires this is a risk or is it a matter of finding a shop with different equipment? I still have to get the other two tires mounted.

6. Member
    have you tried pulling one wheel off at home and see what happens,i would be thinking about what i would do if i had a flat tire on the road,i want make sure i can get the wheels off myself

7. Member
    I got new tires a few weeks ago at Discount Tire. They damaged a few but ordered me replacements. Took about 15 mins to replace with a rubber mallet. Not a huge deal IMO.

The part number is BDW039 for replacement wheel studs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-bdw039

TC
    Tommy Coleman
    2016 Ranger Z518C

8. Member
    Exactly what I was looking for Tommy. Thank you!

Glad you found some replacements!

Still don't understand how mounting a tire should break those off?

As far as torque...they should be using those colored adapters on the air gun so the right amount of torque is applied or they should torque by hand.

10. Member
    If the lugs had been over-tightened in the past, the threads may be stretched, resulting in a damaged/unusable lugnut after removal. +1 on torque sticks per dean c

Any time you just "Allow" a Tire Technician to use an air tool to tighten your lug nuts, 9 times out of 10 that tool will be set at 120# of torque. The Rule is, 90# for Aluminum and 110# for Steel. I always insist that they use a Torque Wrench !! Also, I carry a 30" 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 13/16 socket just in case I need to change a tire on the road !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    I took the other 2 wheels to Goodyear this morning and the guy said he just got a new machine 2 days ago that he hasn't used yet. It's completely automated and doesn't require the bar to run around the rim, so no need to take off the aesthetic bolts around the rims. So lesson learned here, if you have the upgraded wheels then make sure you find a shop that has the newer machine. I picked up some lugs from the dealer and need to swap those out tonight.

My first question is, why are they attempting to remove what appears to be cosmetic perimeter bolting in the first place?

Second, If they broke em, they need to replace em. Especially if they are cosmetic in the first place.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    My first question is, why are they attempting to remove what appears to be cosmetic perimeter bolting in the first place?

Second, If they broke em, they need to replace em. Especially if they are cosmetic in the first place.
    They offered to replace the wheel, but now that I learned the caps can be replaced that is way better. Most tire machines have an arm that runs around the outside of the rim to seal the tire. Those cosmetic bolts needed to be removed so the arm could run around the machine. They make newer machines that don't have that arm, so the point of the post was to share info for those that have these style of rims. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    They offered to replace the wheel, but now that I learned the caps can be replaced that is way better. Most tire machines have an arm that runs around the outside of the rim to seal the tire. Those cosmetic bolts needed to be removed so the arm could run around the machine. They make newer machines that don't have that arm, so the point of the post was to share info for those that have these style of rims. Hope that helps.
    Yes, you are correct about some newer machines but on the machines with the arm, you usually mount the rim on the machine upside down so it doesn't scratch. Do the same with black wheels.

16. Member
    Discount Tire broke/crushed about 15 of these plastic things. I was pissed and it has happened several times. They ordered them for me and I've had them for about a year and still haven't taken the time to call American Racing to ask them the best way to get these off to replace, I tried to pry them off but didn't want to scratch the finish on the wheels. For $3 a pop, that's an expensive mistake. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to more guys and I'm wondering what the tire guys are doing wrong when they're dismounting/mounting the tires that others aren't doing.
    .204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!

17. Member
    They don’t need to be removed. They aren’t in the way of the tire machine removing the tires. You shouldn’t be having any issues with replacing the tires etc. they are doing something wrong man.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

18. Member
    from what it looks like he is mistaking the lugs for cosmetic decoration bolt heads but "like he said just like he was trained" they have plastic inserts for tire tools to protect rims while servicing them.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n_texas_basser View Post
    Discount Tire broke/crushed about 15 of these plastic things. I was pissed and it has happened several times. They ordered them for me and I've had them for about a year and still haven't taken the time to call American Racing to ask them the best way to get these off to replace, I tried to pry them off but didn't want to scratch the finish on the wheels. For $3 a pop, that's an expensive mistake. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to more guys and I'm wondering what the tire guys are doing wrong when they're dismounting/mounting the tires that others aren't doing.
    They`re cheaper from Ranger parts dept. Part#9648002
    Last edited by AHens; 08-26-2019 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Highlighted area