Testing the tester

How can you determine the accuracy of your multimeter?

Mine has a stated accuracy of +/- 0.5%. That means an AGM battery at 12.80v could read anywhere from 12.73v to 12.86v on the multimeter.

Also, once you figure it out is it always leaning that way or is it arbitrary?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Analog or digital meter?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Digital.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Digital.
    The number they give you doesn’t tell the whole story. It could be worse. Even with an accurate spec, determine real accuracy requires understand analog to digital conversion.

Good thing is the DC range has the best accuracy because no real filtering or processing is required.

The easiest way to check is to measure your vehicle battery after it has been parked overnight. It should measure very close to 12.65V. Check a couple of vehicles if one is off.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Hmm. When we worked on aircraft we tried not to let the pilots have two or more instruments that read the same function, it always created nonexistent problems.

6. Member
    Zelmo, For a boater/fisherman your meter will give you close enough for reading voltages. I was an electronics tech for 40 years. You will find $10 meters that will give you enough accuracy. The main difference to a $200 meter is keeping the accuracy over years of use. The cheap ones have cheap switches and contacts. Most of us are not in need of knowing to the 3rd digit right of the decimal point. I have a cheapo and an expensive Fluke I retired with. The cheap one gets 99% of my use. Bob

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Most of us are not in need of knowing to the 3rd digit right of the decimal point.
    Nor am I, but I would like to know the accuracy of the first digit right of the decimal point.

Whether I need it or not I would like to know how the accuracy of my multimeter. I am a details guy.

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    If you are really a detailed details guy you can confirm and even calibrate the A/D converter in your meter.........in the National Standards test electronics calibration lab (@ Johnson Space Center) my coworkers use a certain constant voltage industry recognized battery as a master calibration reference. Its unique chemistry supplies a very precise constant voltage with no load.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.

9. Member
    Well. When I worked (they paid me) We insisted any instrument used to measure be calibrated with a history of the calibration available to be eventually be traceable to the National Bureau of Standards.
    One of my very best "busts" of a contractor was finding a 6 inch steel rule in use that measured 5.90 inches. It was divided into 10ths of an inch and somehow the first 1/10 of an inch was missing. I have no idea how. The weirdest thing I ever found.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Nor am I, but I would like to know the accuracy of the first digit right of the decimal point.

Whether I need it or not I would like to know how the accuracy of my multimeter. I am a details guy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-True-RM.../dp/B01EWFB9FI
    The one with the NIST is certified accurate.