Another backup issue with trailer / GM fuse #16

2018 Chevy Silverado. In the last 3 weeks I have replaced the #16 GM Fuse twice. The one under the hood that controls the backup lights which in turn releases the brakes so I can back the trailer up. What could cause this fuse to keep blowing?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The blue wire often gets pinching in the moving parts in the tongue. Check for bare wire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

When I was having trouble with mine on my 2014 Silverado, i had a wire that had stripped some and was making contact with the trailer creating a short. I fixed it and not a problem since.
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225

4. Member
    I had a similar issue with my running lights. Upon inspection I found a single wire frayed on the safety cable. The tiny sharp steel wire pierced the insulation on the lighting wire like needle. Since the safety cables are connected via a bolt to the trailer it shorted the wire to ground. The problem was intermittent, and since the frayed steel wire was so tiny it took a while to find it. Replaced the safety cable with chains. Problem solved.

I had the same problem. Here’s what I found:
    I have a channel trailer with washers welded inside and the wiring harness runs inside these washers. The wire harness is wire tied to the back washer but lies loose in the others. Apparently the wire blows around in the washers while traveling and it wears through the insulation on each of the outside wires. The ground wire is on one side of the harness and the blue wire is on the other. I had worn through insulation at each of the washers causing the blue wire to short against the trailer frame.
    I would check the blue wire insulation the full length.
    Added pics:

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 08-26-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added Pics

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    So. Took my trailer to a new guy I found out about from a friend to have a few things done. While there...I asked him to check out why, when backing up, this still blows the fuse. (YES....still dealing with it.). He told me that the little 10 amp fuse is not enough to handle the trailer back up lights that came on the trailer...so he replaced the lights with LED back up lights. Said that should take of the problem. We'll see.

7. Member
    If you have surge disc brakes then the reverse lights also control the electric reverse solenoid to allow you to back up. He maybe right but it still could be a shorted wire somewhere.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Had a Ranger trailer that blew truck fuses even when new.Ranger replaced rear bar light but it kept happening.I disconnected the light and no issues after.

9. Member
    Quick test is to clip and tape the blue wire ( or whatever color reverse/backup lights wire) behind the trailer plug and run it for a few days.

PIA to have to use the reverse lockout pin, but if the truck fuse stays good, the trailer has a ground(to frame) connection in that circuit.

Keep in mind the wires bounce around so that it may not be a constant ground and/or need to get wet and therefore difficult to test for.

If the fuse still blows with the trailer wire clipped, the problem is most likely on the truck side.

We mostly use tube frame trailers up here and I would say 98% of 2yr old or older trailer problems have a worn wire(s) in the tube somewhere.

Good luck