Thread: Mattaponi ramps

Mattaponi ramps

Thinking about fishing the mattaponi on Tuesday. Never fished there before. What is the best ramp to put in at for a glass boat? And are there any big hazards on that river?

2. Member
    Walkerton is the best ramp.

3. Member
    Walkerton is your best bet. Not much in the way of floating logs but the usual tidal hazards are prevelant for sure.

4. Member
    Walkerton is fine but you can put in at Aylett as well. I put in at Aylett most of the time. If you are fishing between walkerton and Aylett there is alot of shallow water this time of year. You can run it at high tide but low tide there are alot of places that are less than 2'.

It is an awesome river. Lots of fish and quite a few good ones as well. I went two times last week and caught about 15-20 each trip with a few being over 3lbs and most of them were on a frog. If you want more info PM me.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    I was just looking at satellite imagery of it, seems like the shallow stuff must be more toward Walkerton where it widens out a lot. How far up is the tidal change seen? And how far up above Aylett could you safely go in a glass boat?

Roger - you going in here in your Cat, or something else?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I was just looking at satellite imagery of it, seems like the shallow stuff must be more toward Walkerton where it widens out a lot. How far up is the tidal change seen? And how far up above Aylett could you safely go in a glass boat?

Roger - you going in here in your Cat, or something else?
    Kevin the first 1/2 mile or so down river from Aylett is pretty shallow at low tide so I just idle. But at a 1/2 tide I will run it. As far as tide there is still 3' of tide at Aylett. I very seldom go above Aylett but have gone a couple miles up river at idle only. And I always take the cat. I am to lazy, old, and fat to take the John boat. Hit me up if you have any other questions.

My brother and I went Saturday and caught about 15 with 1 being 3lb 10oz and another 3lb 1 oz.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    I got ya, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a place worth taking my boys, or at least the 6 year old (right now, with the 3.5 year old, it's more kid wrangling and less fishing....) TY sir!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    "Kevin the first 1/2 mile or so down river from Aylett is pretty shallow at low tide so I just idle. But at a 1/2 tide I will run it."

Come on Roger!! . Where are your boys hiding out these days..!?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    "Kevin the first 1/2 mile or so down river from Aylett is pretty shallow at low tide so I just idle. But at a 1/2 tide I will run it."

Come on Roger!! . Where are your boys hiding out these days..!?
    Hahaha!! I will run it at 1/2 tide. I saw you guys fishing the tx Saturday. What were the winning weights. I probably saw you just did not see you.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

10. Member
    I was not there. Had to get a buddy to run it for me. Had a surgery on Friday. Bout 12lbs or so won it. Two 5lbers were weighed.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    I was not there. Had to get a buddy to run it for me. Had a surgery on Friday. Bout 12lbs or so won it. Two 5lbers were weighed.
    I hope you are doing well. Some nice fish.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx